VST parameter ID quick-find

Started by Harbinger, October 05, 2009, 14:46:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Harbinger

Now with the ability to directly control parameters with the Parameter Control event (PCE), we still have to find which parameters have what ID (the value needed for the third column of the PCE). Currently there are only 3 ways to determine this info: search thru the list of parameters in the Plugin section of the General page, search thru the list of parameters in the Macro Manager dialog (AFTER you find the plugin), or use the Learn technique from the plugin's GUI. What we need is a quick way to find the parameter ID number. Here's two suggestions:

1. Right-click on the field where you want to place the parameter ID, and a contextual menu opens listing all the possible parameters of the plugin (parameter ID and name). This is the most direct input method, but it might be a problem if there is a large number of parameters or if the parameter names are not very descriptive.

2. Open the plugin GUI and right-click on the parameter controller, and if the cursor is in the parameter field of a PCE call, the value is placed in the field. This is the most direct visual method, but it requires a little more "setup" with a few more clicks of the mouse.

Saga Musix

I want to remove the note properties dialog with the three tabs completely and replace it by a single window for all parameters. This window would also allow you to edit param control notes (remember, this is is a test version, and we are aware of the fact that some things do not work perfectly yet). Would you agree that this is enough?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Harbinger

Well, that's still kinda the long way. But it'll do, till a short(er)cut can be found. It seems the whole purpose of the PCE is to quickly control a plugin parameter, and finding the ID of the setting you're trying to set is the slowest part of the whole PCE input. Yes, the note properties dialog is beneficial in other ways, but i'm all for NOT opening more windows if i can avoid it. :D

So for me, no it wouldn't be a satisfaction of this request, but yes, do go ahead with your plans -- it's a step in the right direction, and helpful in other ways too... :wink:

Saga Musix

Well, I wouldn't like showing a param list when right-clicking on a PC Note, since the right-click is already reserved for a different action. Also, imagine a plugin with 100+ parameters - how would you want to pick the right one in a context menu?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Harbinger

I'm closing this request, because the 1.18 build simplified inputting the correct controller number with Record Params. I have focused my request on making Record Params more accessible....

Thanks devs for your work! :wink:

Saga Musix

Well, I was actually working on the right-click context menu entry, I was just too lazy to finish it so far...

Harbinger

:D "Lazy" is not a description i would use for you. Perhaps "easily distracted!" :P

Saga Musix

That's right. Doing other things than learning for exams is sooo much more fun! :P