What happened to modplug.com??

Started by Rakib, September 24, 2009, 15:47:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

You didn't visit the site, did you? The download link on the main site, modplug.com, leads to sourceforge. The link next to it leads to an info page, which has both links, but only outdated information about MPT 1.16.
Also, for newcomers, I wouldn't recommend MPT 1.16 anyway, since it's... outdated.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

uncloned

Why should I visit ?

I sometimes use the older version. I don't think I'm alone.

it was just a suggestion - not a indictment

Saga Musix

QuoteWhy should I visit ?
Because that would have shown you that there is indeed a link to the old version.

QuoteI sometimes use the older version. I don't think I'm alone.
Of course you're not, there are still many people using MPT 1.16, but that doesn't mean that even more newcomers should use it as well. The problem is that they as well will be faced with two versions then, which will complicate things again if they recognize that MPT 1.16 is not enough for them. Also, so many annoying bugs have been fixed in OpenMPT, both in the editor and the playback engine. If they were directly sticking to OpenMPT, they would probably not encounter as many "your tune plays wrong in xmplay / milkytracker / whatever" messages.
There has been someone posting a tune on modarchive lately, it was an XM file made with MadTracker, and it had broken arpeggios. of course, they sounded wrong in XMPlay and also in the very latest version of OpenMPT, which plays XM arpeggios correctly now. This is just one out of many examples.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

uncloned

I don't that nullifies my original suggestion.

However - please do as you wish.

Saga Musix

Well, not linking to MPT 1.16 would be plain stupid of course. But the main target of the website definitely should be OpenMPT, and not MPT 1.16 - Providing the old version for the people that still need / want it is okay, but for newcomers, there has to be a big "Download OpenMPT" button. :)

psishock

im with Jojo, the primary download should lead to OMPT, but we definitely should keep the legacy versions as well (for instance  MPT 1.16), if people would like to check/compare/whatever them.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

residentgrey

SWEET it went up $300! HEHE

My site: $25! WOO! LOL
No two people are not on fire...AWWW!

Web and Graphic Design just for you!
I r GhostMech on there, forever scouting.

Saga Musix

There are different sites that value your sites, with different results. Mine are worth a few thousand $$$, modarchive.org was $50.000 IIRC... This value doesn't have much to do with reality often, though...

residentgrey

Ya the company I am working with has a LOT of money in it and gets major bucks monthly, but the site is only worth $7. LOL
No two people are not on fire...AWWW!

Web and Graphic Design just for you!
I r GhostMech on there, forever scouting.