[Trance] [Uplifting Melodic Dream] M31 Gazer

Started by Zaphoid, September 28, 2009, 00:23:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Zaphoid

M31 is the scientific name for the Andromeda Galaxy.  I think trance goes well with the stars and the cosmos.  Let me take you away to a far away destination come with me at warp 150.  Make it so!

Notes:
I finally bought me a license for Reaper and boy am I loving it's many automation features and stable live midi sequencing!! I'm only tracking drums, Bass and arps in buzz now.  Shame on me.  

http://zaphoid-music.net/?p=33  Please comment on my blog entries if you have time :)

Harbinger

Notes as i'm listening:

Excellent FX work from the get-go! At about 1:33 and 3:33, some of those high pitches in the melody raped my ears -- use a compressor.. (owwww!). The themeless melody over the chord progression is heavenly. Excellent use of midrange arpeggiation, sonic progression, bassline rhythm, and stereo space. The only criticism is the lack of sub-bass in the kick drum, but it's obvious you made an attempt to keep it in the forefront. (The problem there then may not be the engineering but the sample that was used.)
Not only was i impressed with the song overall, so was Yjana (Tassel of Blue)! We'll be keeping this in our dance rotation.

Zaphoid

What rotation?  what are you referring to ?  btw I will be able to corect the highs that are bothering your ears after my new fostex monitors arrive this week.  I struggle with my mixes without them.

uncloned

the two of you ought to collaborate - you have similar taste and mindsets.

Zaphoid

would someone tell me who this guy is and where to find him?  What sort of rotation are you talking about?

uncloned

I believe he is referring to his personal music listening rotation and he is in the south east US some-wheres.

Zaphoid

Harbinger

Sorry to get back to you so late. I can only get access on the internet once a week (i have to take a bus to the local library)....

I have my own rotation of music i listen to in the background when i'm working on other stuff. The music i choose must be energetic, but not too eccentric -- no intellectual stuff for this music, as i don't want it to distract me.
I also have a rotation of quieter music i use for relaxing and thinking. Same rules except that it doesn't have the energy that my "work" music has. Nothing interesting or attention-grabbing, like MUCH of Sam_Zen's and uncloned's music. (I mean, not that it ISN'T, but that it's too.... oh never mind...)

Yjana my drummer (she was on this forum as Tassel of Blue, or ToB for short) also keeps another rotation of music from many CDs and websites (including this one) that we dance to (i think she let the cat out of the bag in another post) when we feel like it. (Believe me there's one sight you don't want to see -- me dancing!! )

So when i say i'm keeping this in my rotation, that's the highest compliment i can give you....not only is the music good, but i want to listen to it over and over in the background of my life. There's lots of music i've come across that's good, and i'll say so, but i wouldn't want to listen to it over and over. It's good for LISTENING TO, but not HEARING.

Actually, i noticed that you DO share similar tastes in music as ToB, but not me (she's mentioned that she really digs your musical style). As a matter of fact, she's doing the EDM now, while i'm going back to my classical roots. Right now when i'm not writing up the OHM, i'm plugging in my Piano Suites and Flute Csonatas into MPT. Every once in a while, i'll get an inspiration for some Techno-Rock, but i've really kind of let Yjana do all the Trance stuff....

I'll check out the new mix and let you if there's a noteworthy difference. :wink:

Harbinger

Notes as i'm listening:

(newest mix)

Is this the same song? It sounds like you added so much that i don't recognize it (not a bad thing). The ear-raping bridge between 1:30 and 2:00 is still there, but looking at the spectrum, the problem is not the amplitude. You definitely suppressed it, either in-track or at post. I think what's going on is that EVERY frequency band is being used and compacted and the combined volume of all of these bands makes an amplitude not of volume level but of frequency overload.

But the track is still good, reminding me of psishock's architecture. I really like the melodic brook that finds its way in and out of the song, especially at 2:55. The arpeggios are trustworthy, and the midtone melodies (akin to the viola parts in a string orchestra) don't make you listen to them.

I'm wondering if this is true Trance, as it reminds me more of Techno (the old definition) but as i'm listening i'm trying to find out why. It may be that there's "too much" going on for it to be Trance. But until another genre can be distinguished, "Uplifting Trance" is good.  :wink:

Zaphoid

Techno subgenre wouldn't heart my feelings.  I don't know what you mean about the frequency stuff.  I haven't played this back on my new fostex pm04s yet but I will and see what is up with it.