[primal tapes] Samba + Spanish tunnel (ogg)

Started by Sam_Zen, October 12, 2009, 01:45:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

Two more tracks from the Butape 02 archive (1977):

Samba - 2:09
Spanish tunnel - 4:53

As can be heard, the same setup - Synthi AKS and Elka strings.

uncloned

I really like both of these and prefer the 2nd one.

Both have a percussive sound element that reminds me of a quieter section of tangerine dream's Ricochet - I like the melodies - the faux... oboe is it? in the 2nd one.

And this ogg player in firefox is so nice!

Both have a very rich sound - perhaps because it is an analog production?

jikoo

I prefer the solo of the first one. But, my favorite is the second one too !

Great work Sam ! :welldone:
Woolyss Tracking | Woolyss Chipmusic

[color=#F0F0F0].[/color]

Sam_Zen

Thanks.
I understand the link to Tangerine Dream concerning the percussion. They also used echo-bouncing.
The oboe-like sound of the Synthi is one of my favs to play.

I'm pleased it's called a rich sound. It was an analog production on tape, and rawly digitized.
Because of the decline of the reel tape after 15 yrs, the result had become quite dull sounding.
So before publishing, I refreshed these takes with CEP, correcting eq and dynamics.

Sam_Zen

I have refreshed two more tracks from the same period :

De schaduw gevolgd - 5:25 (The shadow followed)
Bomen en heuvels - 3:55 (Trees and hills)

Nahkranoth

Speaking of the first 2, my favourite is the Spanish Tunnel. Can't stop thinking of Mass Effect game while listening to it.

uncloned

The 3rd one didn't appeal for some reason but I really liked the 4th one. Especially the way it opens up.

Harbinger

Notes as i'm listening:

(Spanish Tunnel)
Wow, Sam_Zen doing something "normal"?

Spanish Tunnel definitely falls into the New Age genre. An unchanging rhythm line and an ostinato pad makes for a nice aural field for the melodic progression to move along in. My only complaint is the melodic timbre (the Moog-like sine) has a strange vibrato that seems to "downgrade" its modernness. IOW, it sounds like its from an old synth rather than one of these new-fangled waveform editors. :D

Going into my quiet listening rotation.

Sam_Zen

2 Harbinger :
You're right, the melodic timbre is made by a very old analog synth, played on a touch-sensitive keyboard.