The $35 2009 SoOn Compo

Started by uncloned, September 25, 2009, 05:55:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

To defend Nahkranoth, XMPlay as well as the Winamp MP3 plugin (which I use in XMPlay for writing ID3 tags) show artist and track name info.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

uncloned

Defend?

I right clicked the file and chose properties. My guess is those programs take it from the file name?

Anyway since its hosted on mod plug the file can't be changed by me and reissuing the link will only cause confusion. While I was able to catch Paul's ogg vs mp3 I can't catch everything being human and all.

Saga Musix

Quote from: "uncloned"Defend?
oh, excuse that i'm not an native englishman, but i can't find a better word for it.

QuoteI right clicked the file and chose properties. My guess is those programs take it from the file name?
No, XMPlay and the Winamp ID3 tag editor both check the ID3v2 tag, which is a common method since more than ten years now.

QuoteI right clicked the file and chose properties.
I assume that you are referring to the Windows explorer. I wouldn't trust anything in its property dialog, as I don't even know where it's getting its data from. It would appear that it can't read ID3v2.4 tags in that case. If it can normally read ID3v2 tags, you could check if it also reads ID3v2.4 tags by exporting a little file in OpenMPT 1.17.03.02 as mp3 - it will generate ID3v2.4 tags.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

uncloned

I whole heartedly apologize for any confusion or problems especially to Nahkranoth.

@ Jojo

Yes, I was using Windows 7 explorer - to be honest Jojo when it comes to something being used by lots of people (like hopefully Nahkranoth's composition) the lowest common denominator is probably best. As a case in point I have been using MP3TAG to embed pictures in my mp3's - but my car SD card / USB driver radio transmitter  refuses to play them past about 20 seconds or so...

@ Nahkranoth

Please accept my apologies - my goal was to get the music posted before I left for a job interview in another city (this I knew was to be an all day and part of the evening affair). I was surprised to have 3 entries this morning and now I wish I had waited on posting yours. I do not mean to have given you a slight.

If it is any consolation this is what Black Tiger said about your piece on the Traxinspace forum "Njah! Nahkranoth is too good. ;D"

Nahkranoth

@ clones
No problem at all. I'm sorry for causing the trouble :oops:

Quote from: "uncloned"If it is any consolation this is what Black Tiger said about your piece on the Traxinspace forum "Njah! Nahkranoth is too good. ;D"
OHMAGAWD!!1 And it's just when I nearly started to hate that tune :D
Thank ye, clones, knowing this I finally can get some sleep :P

Sam_Zen

(hm, some posts bypassed me, while writing this)

XMPlay shows your ID3v2 tags as well.
But even if a forum allows editing posts, it's useless to change the filename in the post.
(or one might have FTP access)
If one wants to change the ID3 tag, one has to upload the song again.

2 Clones :
Looking for file properties with exploder has nothing to do with showing an ID3 tag.
This extended content will be read by a dedicated player or an app like Audiodata.

2 Nahkranoth :
Now at least you should call it : "Ultimate Epic Hard-to-Listen-to Piece of Crap" .. :)

Saga Musix

Quote from: "uncloned"@ Jojo

Yes, I was using Windows 7 explorer - to be honest Jojo when it comes to something being used by lots of people (like hopefully Nahkranoth's composition) the lowest common denominator is probably best. As a case in point I have been using MP3TAG to embed pictures in my mp3's - but my car SD card / USB driver radio transmitter  refuses to play them past about 20 seconds or so...
Well, I personally don't know any people (apart from you) who use this dialog to actually view ID3 tags. It just looks like M$ refuses once again to follow a standard here.

Nahkranoth

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"2 Nahkranoth :
Now at least you should call it : "Ultimate Epic Hard-to-Listen-to Piece of Crap" .. :)
LOL I alredy thought of it, but the title would be too generic and applicable to nearly all of my tunes in that case :lol:

uncloned

15th entry by Daniel Jackson called Loops of Lawns

Details

Made in Buzz.

Sounds used:

congas
contest-in-a-minor
funky_slap_base_with_drum_stick_ouch__
low
mindrones_2
nonsense
sound_effects
x

Download and on line playback at this URL

http://www.box.net/shared/juz15llks1

16th entry by IV65536 called Hexentanz (SoOn 2009 Compo)

Details

And now here is my entry for the SoOn Compo 2009 at TiS!

Used sample:

Keys by Alpha Alpha (A_2Sample)

Online playback

http://www.traxinspace.com/song/44920

Download

http://clones.soonlabel.com/public/2009-SoOn-contest-song-hosting/Hexentanz-SoOn-2009%20Combo-.mp3

Louigi Verona

Oh boy. So many entries. More entries, less chances to win!

uncloned

Quote from: "Louigi Verona"Oh boy. So many entries. More entries, less chances to win!

but doesn't that make for a better completion - especially for the listener?

Louigi Verona

Yeah, but I am interested in money, Chris. It's all about the money  :evil:

uncloned

Quote from: "Louigi Verona"Yeah, but I am interested in money, Chris. It's all about the money  :evil:

Money? Naw - its all about the beer!!

QuoteSoOn is sponsoring a competition in the spirit of the Scene compo tradition and to make it a bit more interesting we'll buy you a beer (or two) if you end up in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place.
[/quote]

Louigi Verona

I don't drink beer. Will you buy me Fanta or Coke?

uncloned

17th entry by Ozan Yarman called The Saba Storm

I am able to contribute a piece to Chris Vaisvil's SoOn 2009 contest after all:

(Streaming)
http://www.ozanyarman.com/musics.html

(Download)
http://www.ozanyarman.com/files/music/Sabastorm.mp3

This new piece is called "The Saba Storm". Catchy, huh?

The scale employed in the composition is that of the Saba maqam, or else a Yarman-36a subset for the scale of said maqam. The 12-tone subset scale chosen from my notorious Yarman-36a tuning is given below:

Yarman-36a Saba maqam with perde rast on C
!
198.74659   D
347.40794   Eb (quartertonal)
381.44577   Ed
501.35622   F
649.32179   Gb (quartertonal)
896.75720   A
1001.88049  Bb
1200.00000  C

Don't be surprised if the established theoretical models (Turkish, Arabic, Persian, etc...) fail to faithfully represent maqams. You need something like Yarman-36a to render maqams like Saba, Ushshaq, Huzzam and Karjighar satisfactorily.

In the piece, I warped the Congas.mp3 sample by Norm Harris. It's hard to recognize, because the waveform has been reversed and processed with carefully chosen Logic Pro 8 plugins:

1-SpecGate: Dark Super Energy
2-FuzzWah: Crunchy Overdrive
3-EnVerb: Rolling Up
4-SpaceDsn: Modula B Delay & Hot Plate
5-Limiter

Notice how the original Conga beat is transformed to an ethereal Saba aire in the background, which seemlessly intertwines with the "Saba-ishness" of the composition. Who would have guessed that the inharmonic spectra of congas would be so suitable for maqam Saba? The pitches of the congas match delicately with the Yarman-36a Saba subset.

Due to the limitations with the chosen scale (Logic Pro does not allow on-the-fly tuning changes), modulations are very limited. There is a savoury modulation to Ushshaq and later to a diminished Segah pentachord as the piece progresses. But Saba on D dominates throughout.

The length of The Saba Storm is 5:10 minutes. The size of the mp3 file is 3.9 MBs.

And yes, I am the one who sings the "gazel" vocal in Turkish. If anyone wonders what the words mean, just ask me!

This is my first true attempt at electronic microtonal maqam polyphony.

Comments are welcome!

Ozan Yarman

http://www.ozanyarman.com