Param editor for MPT : VolFX Manager

Started by Paul Legovitch, September 24, 2009, 15:34:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Legovitch

Mmh... I have OpenMPT, I should really use it instead of the old one, I know... How can I have it work with my AZERTY keyboard ? ModPlug allows me to set the notes myself but I don't know how to do that in OpenMPT.
EDIT : Ok I've just noticed that there's a french OpenMPT community that have all what's needed for french keyboards, so that's settled.
The only thing that bothers me a bit is how to distinguish inside OpenMPT what is IT compatible and what's not.

Saga Musix

There are two french keyboard maps included in the default OpenMPT distribution package, and what I really hate is that it seems like nobody is willing to share their keymaps anymore?! I often hear "there's no keymap for my keyboard layout, I live in XY" and I'm pretty sure that there are other people from XY working with OpenMPT, but nobody shares their layouts... Anyway, enough rant.

QuoteThe only thing that bothers me a bit is how to distinguish inside OpenMPT what is IT compatible and what's not.
I don't get you here. Actually, it was much more complicated in MPT 1.16 to distinguish what can be used with which module type. For example, channel panning and default channel volume was also configurable for MOD and XM files, which don't support those settings.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "Jojo"Anyway, enough rant
I would say your rant is justified.

Quote from: "Jojo"I don't get you here. Actually, it was much more complicated in MPT 1.16 to distinguish what can be used with which module type. For example, channel panning and default channel volume was also configurable for MOD and XM files, which don't support those settings.
Yes there are improvements, but still the there are numerous places where a user who haven't studied the IT format - in practice a majority of users - can't really know is the feature MPT-specific. A few examples:
-How many channels/rows/patterns/samples/instruments IT supports?
-What kind of samples IT supports?
-Which of the modcommands are MPT-specific?
-Does IT support plugins?
-Which of the instrument settings are MPT-specific?

machinesmith

I Was going to post an overdramatic comic about how programmers and innovaters should remember the little guy (the kind that isnt on modern tech). I was but...well...

Just so you know, Volfx runs fine on Win98SE (and no processor hogging here at all!)  :wink:

(sometimes it pays to take a risk and download anyway eh? *deletes stick figures, closes PhotoFiltre*)

Thanks for the app, Love it!

Paul Legovitch

:lol: Thanks ! That's good to know it works on older systems.
I use a relatively old laptop myself (2003) with 256 Mo of ram, that's why I love the IT format : it sounds really great if you know what you're doing and it has very low requirements. Plus I think that working with limitations can be inspiring too. The IT module has not said its last word !  :P

Saga Musix

Well... MOD/S3M/XM sure takes less CPU power. :P
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Rakib

Feature request:
Provide interpolation on values, where one can provide start and end value.

edit: Just found that it is already there. But how about some standard presets.
^^

Paul Legovitch

Hi, I saw you requested it for OMPT too !  :P
If you provide some more info on what to do and how to do it I would consider implementing it. What would you use it for ? Only two values or more ?

Btw, I'm currently working on a humanize option to randomly add or subtract some delay (ticks) to the notes with the SDx effect.

Rakib

For instance like this,  with start and endvalue. It's maybe not possible with cos/sinus values.

^^

rewbs

Sorry for bumping an old thread - I was just pointed here via a separate discussion.

Very cool looking tool. I quite like the idea of delegating pattern transforms to an external app. People tend to have lots of ideas for the kinds of transforms they'd like to see (reversal, interpolation, oscillation, arpeggiation, humanisation, weighted randomisation etc...). Until there's a pluggable/scriptable pattern transform mechanism in OpenMPT, encouraging people to implement and share their own external transforms that operate on clipboard data seems sensible.

I wanted to try it out, but the download links in this thread appear to be broken. I found a working link on your blog, but the tool crashed immediately on launch (maybe because I'm on Windows 7). What's it implemented in? Is the source available?

Rakib

As stated in the first post, it says it was made using game maker so I guess he is using game maker language(GML).
^^

Paul Legovitch

Here's a new download :
Seven version : VolFX_Manager_0.4.3_seven.zip
(links updated in the first post too)
This one should work, except a little graphic bug when switching from fullscreen to windowed. Press F1 for the readme.

Like Rakib said it's written with game maker, so the code is in gml.
I can send you the source via email if you want but you will need to install gamemaker 7 or 8 to look into it. It's very messy and buggy though but all functions are very basic, nothing fancy here.
If anyone is interested I could try to work on it and release a new version with PC notes, interpolation, etc or at least release a clean version of the source. Also feel free to request other features.