[sample] The Prepared Electric Guitar (mp3)

Started by uncloned, September 15, 2009, 03:52:39

Previous topic - Next topic

uncloned

Well, this is hardly a tune - its really just an experiment I did back in 82 to so.

http://micro.soonlabel.com/prepared-guitar/prepared-electric-guitar.mp3

Being inspired by the John Cage prepared piano (which I had done to the piano I had at home at one point) I put pieces of aluminum foil as little balls on the strings. Observing that the heavier the piece was the greater the modulation I eventually graduated to lead attachments - fishing weights worked really well for this application.

In my subsequent reading I found out that this had the effect of making the string vibrate in a non-harmonic fashion and generated a ring modulation effect acoustically.

However, since it took time to prepare the guitar and it was... challenging to make musical music (to my ears then) with it I simply taped the sound and went on to the next idea. Perhaps someone will use these sounds as samples - perhaps not.

Excuse the quality... I was pretty poor and my tape equipment was pathetic.

Sam_Zen

uncloned

reminds me of Jan Hammer's solos which I kinda liked - but of course I didn't have the same control

Sam_Zen

I love the ringmodulated Fender.. He played it also on 'Stratus' by Billy Cobham.