[Ambient/Chillout] Terminal (MP3)

Started by bvanoudtshoorn, September 13, 2009, 09:28:00

Previous topic - Next topic

bvanoudtshoorn

My first track in quite a while. :/ This one is a bit of a different from my usual stuff (although I tend to say that a lot nowadays... Hmm...). Not quite sure why I had such a long hiatus, but hopefully this track spells the end of it. We'll see.

I made use of some of the samples that you guys gave me for a wedding present, as well as mutilating some of my other sample libraries.

Online streaming & download

uncloned

Nice,

My impression of the beginning is improvising a chill tune in a rain forest.

Actually that kinda stays with me as I listen. Interesting lead sound - has a smooth sound with a touch of distortion here and there.

Welcome back to the land of composing!

bvanoudtshoorn

Glad you liked it, Clones! :)

The lead sound is actually originally an Occarina, but quite heavily processed. Each voice is passed through a phaser, and then the entire occarina output is passed through the following signal chain:

Twang (Tube amp) -> Convolution (with a pretty weird convolution sample) -> Stereo inverter -> Delay -> Stereo inverter -> Reverb.

Lots of fun. :)

Sam_Zen

Much enjoyed !
Everything fits, the duration, the balance, the panning, the production, the arrangement, the melody..

bvanoudtshoorn

Thanks, S_Z -- I'm really pleased you enjoyed it. :)

Nahkranoth

Yay! MOAR chilly athmospheric stuff is always welcome. Glad to hear something new from you, since you're not frequent here these days. What's stereo inverter btw :?:  I guess it's not just swapping left<->right channels.

bvanoudtshoorn

Glad you're enjoying it, Nahkranoth. :)

The stereo inverter does phase-shifting and channel-swapping. :) A very simple effect, but useful.

Nahkranoth

Why do you use it 2 times, bv? I don't get the purpose. Explaining a little won't hurt ::)

bvanoudtshoorn

Well, actually I'm just using it to do a panning swap. You see, the Delay unit in Kontakt can ping-pong, but always chooses the left channel first. In this particular instance, I wanted the right channel to be hit first, so I put an inverter after the delay unit.

Now, because of some of the other processing earlier in the chain, I wanted certain sounds to remain the way they were before the inversion, so I invert before the delay unit as well.

Yes, there are cleaner, more succinct methods of doing this, but this is the quickest, easiest way of doing it, and it's the one I use so long as I have enough effect slots available.

Really, it's just laziness. :D

Nahkranoth

Thanks for the explanation :D I thought there was some magic involved, but the purpose is clear now :oops:

uncloned

What convolution did you use?

I've not used convolution at all in any program though I understand the theory - is it only applicable to reverb?

bvanoudtshoorn

No, convolution is *much* more useful than just for reverb. Using it, you can fundamentally alter the very characteristics of a sound, completely altering it if you so desire.

The particular convolution sample I used on the ocarina is one that came with Kontakt, named 'Node Unity'. Here's a screenshot, 'cos I'm not sure about the legality of actually posting the sample. :P

[thumb]http://www.barryvan.com.au/temp/kontakt-ir.png[/thumb]