Why intellectual property is such a confusing concept

Started by Louigi Verona, September 08, 2009, 12:33:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Louigi Verona

This is a violation of human rights, actually. All of the intellectual property rants are actually a violation of human rights. If I buy a disc, I buy all the software on it. Because it is a physical object - it is burned to cd by placing special markings on it. I bought it and I should be supposed to do whatever I want with it.

By introducing copyright and intellectual "property" laws the government basically gives the companies a way to claim something they do not own.

A nice article on this here:
http://www.libervis.com/article/intellectual-property-a-violation-of-real-property

This Xbox thing only shows their priorities.

PabloLuna

John Locke warned that even if laws to defend private property are necessary, men driven by their own interes or driven by ignorance are not likely to acknowledge private property when their interests are in the middle.

PabloLuna

Sam_Zen

Thanks. A very good article.

OT: At the bottom was a link about the OGG format, so I joined the campaign.

Louigi Verona

What I sometimes do not like about Stallman's argument is that it is philosophically superficial. It deals with the law. He does not underline the fact that intellectual property is a very-very artificial concept, though he does state that it i just a law. Wikipedia article on intellectual property and on copyright in particular also points out that this is just an artificial idea.

PabloLuna

It looks like now it is illegal to "sell friends and followers".
I never suspected that the possibility of getting friends could be copyrighted.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8370302.stm

As for networking sites and second life, it is not as cool as an online forum.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8367957.stm

Saga Musix

I think you (and a few others) are not only "a bit" overreacting in this heated discussion about intellectual property and similar stuff. I do not see anything right in the things this external company did ("selling" "friends") either.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

PabloLuna

Quote from: "Jojo"I think you (and a few others) are not only "a bit" overreacting in this heated discussion about intellectual property and similar stuff. I do not see anything right in the things this external company did ("selling" "friends") either.

Companies sell your data to other companies.
Why is that a company can't do the same with companies?
Is it that only people's data can be sold?

Saga Musix

Are you trying to justify data theft and dubious terms and conditions?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

PabloLuna

Quote from: "Jojo"Are you trying to justify data theft and dubious terms and conditions?

Do you know what data mining is?
This company was doing data mining.
For some reason when a company does data mining on another company, it is not legal.  But when people do data mining on you, it is legal.

Saga Musix

Quote from: "PabloLuna"For some reason when a company does data mining on another company, it is not legal.  But when people do data mining on you, it is legal.
Then ranting about doing data maning on another company is sure the wrong thing. However, please continue ranting about data mining being done on people.

PabloLuna

Quote from: "Jojo"
Quote from: "PabloLuna"For some reason when a company does data mining on another company, it is not legal.  But when people do data mining on you, it is legal.
Then ranting about doing data maning on another company is sure the wrong thing. However, please continue ranting about data mining being done on people.

I think I was using irony.
It is like saying "if banks can abuse of people, why can't we abuse of banks too?".

How do banks abuse of people?  See this.  

Money as debt
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2550156453790090544#

Sorry for going off topic, but there are many things currently going wrong with the current design of things.

Now, going back to topic, if you provide a software without a service, software is likely to be copied in one way or another.  Even if software takes time to be made, the real value comes with the service that is provided.

I also make software for free.  Not only music.  

At work I also make some software, but the value added does not come from the software itself (which helps to increase productivity at work), but from the support I provide when changes are needed.  If they wanted to copy it and make changes by themselves, they'd be free to do it, but people do not like that at work.

They do not pay me for the software, but for the service (I find new ways to make their lives easier myself), and this is why I have a job.

PabloLuna

PPH

Quote from: "PabloLuna"French record labels sue, um, SourceForge
Open source haven thumped for harboring P2P app
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/11/18/sppf_sues_four_us_p2p_companies/

WTF?
============
PPH
-Melody Enthusiast
============