[classical guitar] 22 (XM)

Started by uncloned, September 06, 2009, 19:08:41

Previous topic - Next topic

uncloned

This is for Jojo - and example of doing a 22 note per octave microtonal piece in a "traditional" tracker. I think this was don e in Fast Tracker II - could be the original modplug tracker though.

In any case - the tuning was created by:

1. calculating the 22nd root of 2 - and then using this factor to multiply out 22 notes as frequencies

2. using cool edit to create sine waves samples of the proper frequencies as derived from step 1

3. loading the sine wave samples and a classical guitar sample - then tune the guitar sample to the sine wave sample

4. Now to play a scale you do not play C D E F G you play C instrument 1, 2,3 , 4 etc.

I stopped at 11 guitar samples (as I remember) because the tritone splits the octave in half so the lower 11 can do the higher 11 a tritone apart.

http://clones.soonlabel.com/mods/22c.zip

Saga Musix

QuoteI think this was don e in Fast Tracker II - could be the original modplug tracker though.
Seems my detection routines are not perfect yet - It has a song comment, so must be some old version of ModPlug (1.09?), however it's recognized as FT2. :)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

uncloned

I don't understand want is pertinent about your comment to the microonal discussion. Did you look at the patterns?

Saga Musix

Hey, don't tell me what I may comment about and what not. I have lately put a lot of energy into finding out what old versions of MPT do and what they don't in order to maximize compatibility. You said you were not sure if it was MPT or FT2 so I tried to find out myself what it is - However, I don't have many hints on how to detect MPT-made XM files yet.

And yes, I did have a look at your work. I was of course not really surprised about the way you have done it, because that's how I'd expect it to be done in an 2nd genration tracker. I can't really say anything about the music itself, since, as I said, I'm not really into microtonal music.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

uncloned

I didn't say anything about what you can or can't comment.

look at my post again

I said I didn't understand what your comment had to to with the discussion.

If you go around expecting people to insult you I promise you will see it at every turn.

I'm finding having a conversation with you difficult.

Saga Musix

Quote from: "uncloned"If you go around expecting people to insult you I promise you will see it at every turn.
Yes, and that sounds very much like "Please stay on-topic, this is about music" to me. Sorry if I got that wrong, but that's how it is.

Sam_Zen

Nice piece and nice procedure. But ugly discussion.
No need to be that hot-boiled, Clones.
Nothing wrong with a post about certain technical aspects of the music, even the filetype.

uncloned

I must admit to being frustrated at this point Sam. My apologies.

Sam_Zen

I said nice procedure, but I don't understand :
"because the tritone splits the octave in half so the lower 11 can do the higher 11 a tritone apart."

This is 22. Is there also a known 16 tuning ? I like binary numbers.

uncloned

Yes there is 16 equal divisions of an octave. In fact you can divide the octave (or 5th or 3rd) by any arbitrary number. Popular equal division an octave are 17, 19, 22, and 31. Some use numbers over 100 but I don't subscribe to it.  

Wendy Carlos' alpha tuning is 9 divisions of a perfect 5th. The "phiter" tunings I've posted here are 12 divisons of Phi as 1.68. In both cases (he 5th ,d Phi functions as an octave even to my ears which I find strange.

All of the above are 1 dimensional tunings - that is there is only one interval that acts like a semitone that makes all other intervals. (For example 4 semi tones make the distance of a major 3rd from C to E).  So consequently there are 2 and more dimensional tunings where there are two unequal smallest steps or more. These are less well used but some I've heard are really interesting.

The biggest problem facing microtonal music is the availability of tools be that instruments or oftware.

uncloned

And that is the thing with mdplug - it has full tuning support though I find it unwieldy in the present pc keyboard interface. I end up having to put in a note and then transposed to the desired note because I can't figure out the mapping in practice.

But this facility certainly makes modplug unique in the trackers I've tried and conversations about microtonal music pertinent.

Another drawback everyone now expects VSTi quality sound. Perhaps I'm lazy because I'm not so concerned with production yet I do find it disheartening when a piece is not listened for the content but only the gloss on the paint. So this makes me less likely to use modplug and at this point modplug can't change tunings for VSTis as far as I'm aware .

uncloned

Sam_Zen