UnTwelve composition competition -- deadline Oct 1st

Started by akjmicro, September 04, 2009, 03:48:35

Previous topic - Next topic

psishock

Quote from: "Jojo"the truth is that I'm just very scatterbrained, though
:shock: o wow, another mutual feat  8)

Quote from: "Jojo"And no, I didn't accuse Louigi of spamming, I accused our new "guest" who is obviously only here to make some advertisement for this "compo".
Yep, that was obvious, me was doing it 2. Other stuffs were clearly a joke from every suspect. =)
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

uncloned

he did post a link to his music in the music forum as well

the guy is an accomplished microtonal composer  

:(

Saga Musix

That doesn't change the fact that he came here for advertising. People often do it like this.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "Jojo"And no, I didn't accuse Louigi of spamming, I accused our new "guest" who is obviously only here to make some advertisement for this "compo".
I haven't checked the details of the compo, but do you find something wrong in advertising music related compos in modplug forums or what this is about?

Saga Musix

Announcing compos per se is not a bad thing of course; however the intent is clearly visible here I think (user registered just for this, compo "entrance fee", etc.). If f.e. clones suddenly decided to do a microtonal compo and announce it here, it would be completly different story for example.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

uncloned

I think it is safe to say that he didn't know about modplug forum until I posted a link on the microtonal tuning list asking if I could link one of his songs here (with credit to him of course).

It would appear that he decided to link it himself - and tell everyone about the microtonal competition while he was at it.

I would not be surprised to find that these will be his last posts as well.

g

We should have a S.P.A.M. (self-promotion and miscellaneous I believe it was) forum like at the old board... But in my opinion spam like this that's clearly related to making music is never a problem. And even a compo fee of $20 is hardly a get rich quick scheme.

LPChip

I read a lot of commotion, but I don't have a problem with this.

Even if you have to pay to enter the compo and can win money with it, I still don't have a problem if he posts about it here. Its up to you to decide if you want to enter it and pay for the entrance fee.

Its not that this is illegal, cus it isn't. We don't have rules preventing him from doing this either. If you disagree on paying money to enter this, simply don't enter the competition.

If you however would like to join this without paying, perhaps you should organize your own competition and see what happens.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Louigi Verona

Yeah, lots of fuzz here. Actually, if someone here would've said - let's do a mpt compo and there was a fee and it would not be higher than 5-10 dollars, I would considering entering, provided the money goes on to support MPT or smth.

bvanoudtshoorn

I'm with LP & LV on this -- I have no problem with anyone posting details of a music competition here, fee-based or not.

In fact, I think it's a really good thing -- the more competitions MPC users enter, the more exposure OpenMPT can get, and that's not a bad thing. Nothing wrong with evangelising OpenMPT. :D

uncloned

and especially a microtonal compo - I doubt *any* other tracker supports  truly alternate tunings.....

Saga Musix

Which is probably due to the history of trackers (where they came from, what they were used for). However, any tracker can do custom tuning since you have - and you don't have that with MIDI - finetuning for samples. You can fake microtonal tuning with a couple of samples that have different finetuning.

uncloned

I have done microtonal pieces with traditional trackers. Most alternate tunings have more than 12 notes which makes using traditional trackers extremely complicated.

Would you like to see an example?

http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?msg=27956.0#msg27956

and I would say "faking" a tuning isn't possible - either it is or isn't