[minimal classical] Rubik's Cube (mp3)

Started by uncloned, August 19, 2009, 02:53:04

Previous topic - Next topic

uncloned

it is surprisingly noisy for you.

After it gets going it is more relaxed and sounds pretty different from the original.

Louigi Verona

Quoteand sounds pretty different from the original

That was the whole point ;)

Louigi Verona

Quote from: "uncloned"it is surprisingly noisy for you.

I take it you missed this one, featuring noisy guitar by Mr. Vaisvil:
http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=3353.0

Harbinger

Notes as i'm listening (1st listed version)

The lost pages of the Petrushka manuscript! Stravinsky i'm sure is smiling from somewhere! :D

The instrumentation is perfect! I don't know which one you chose first, but whatever you "added" to accompany the first is perfectly complementary; every instrument has its task and the space to do it. Very simple and innocent phrases, but i doubt this would be something children could play (except by accident!). Delightful, playful, and heartwarming. More music that can't be ignored!

BTW perhaps the title is not a mistake. "Rubric" is a word, so i see that as a nifty, thought-provoking title (much like "strategery" and "scrumptrilescent"). :wink:

Now of course, the obvious question, who is "Lucy" and what is "2b3s tuning?" (And if you used an alternate tuning in this, i could barely tell -- which is good, 'cause i don't have the ear for alternate tunings.)

uncloned

Hi Harbinger.

This started life as a slightly different piece that I intended to compose in Wendy Carlos'  Alpha tuning (9 divisions of a perfect 5th - no octaves per se)

But I ran into technical difficulties with the new GPO 4 & its Aria player. So... I composed in 12 tet ("normal" tuning) and converted to a Lucy tuning variant just to make it applicable for the microtuning community.

http://xenharmonic.ning.com/

So the original had cello in place of the bassoon and marimba 2 octaves lower in place of the hand bells.

The hand bell part was started first and really was an abuse of cut n paste. Everything else was written around that motive with the percussion added last. At one point I have a break beat glitch in the percussion but that was truly ugly. If I remember right the piece is scored for 7/4 time.

Lucy tuning is a "mean tone" 12 note per octave tuning that has very pure thirds. Its limitation is that not all keys are available - there exists a "wolf" interval /  note that one usually avoids.

If you'd like the pdf of the score I'd be happy to oblige.