[electronica] childhood memories (it)

Started by cubaxd, April 15, 2007, 11:25:36

Previous topic - Next topic

cubaxd

This song is a mix of ambient melodies and fast idm-like percussion, made within 2 days on 2 OSes with 2 versions of MPT :)

Childhood
memories
, 1.6M, 8:23

Sam_Zen

Beautiful start. Clever introductions to rhythmic parts. Nice gamelan-like melodics. And the watery noises make it complete.
A OT question, because I'm not familiar with VST's : After loading the song I noticed the adding of some DirectX reverb plugin as FX1, although no channel is making use of a plugin. How come ?

cubaxd

Hi Sam

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"Nice gamelan-like melodics.
Thx :) I was searching for a word describing these melodies. Now i've got it :)

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"After loading the song I noticed the adding of some DirectX reverb plugin as FX1, although no channel is making use of a plugin. How come ?
In the short time when i used windows for making some more samples and adding them to the mod (this is still the best platform to do this), i must have have added the reverb. But when i switched back to linux this was rather useless since i have not installed directx on wine.

After inspecting the file and looking at the message dialog i found another "flaw" :D
made with ModPlug Tracker
( 0.17.2.28 (win) and 0.16.0202 (wine) )

can't be true ::)

Saga Musix

sounds interesting :) ;)
one hint concerning the samples, which is not only addressed to you:
Lots of your samples have a "wrong" DC offset. you see this as most wave data is "above" the center line. you can remove this DC offset in wave editors like wavelab. it's a good idea to do this as you can amplify the samples more and mixing goes on better aswell.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

cubaxd

moin Jojo ;)

Quote from: "Jojo"sounds interesting :) ;)

Quote from: "Jojo"one hint concerning the samples, which is not only addressed to you:
Lots of your samples have a "wrong" DC offset. you see this as most wave data is "above" the center line. you can remove this DC offset in wave editors like wavelab. it's a good idea to do this as you can amplify the samples more and mixing goes on better aswell.

This can also be done using MPT by just putting a sample into a pattern and saving this one-pattern-song as wav file. This DC thing (that term was new to me :oops: ) is on the line then. But it was once more my laziness which prohibited me to do this ;)

Asharin

Quote from: "cubaxd"
This can also be done using MPT by just putting a sample into a pattern and saving this one-pattern-song as wav file. This DC thing (that term was new to me :oops: ) is on the line then. But it was once more my laziness which prohibited me to do this ;)
This is something I keep meaning to do, I use VSTi's almost exclusiv ely with no samples anymore..however, a lot of VSTi's bogs down the CPU so on some patterns you can't actually play it properly in MPT as it stutters, so I have to save the track as wav to hear it properly. what I might do for the more repetative parts is just save as a wav and then load into the track and loop it, less cpu use in samples, and it'll still sound exatly the way I want it to. Thanks for reminding me! :D
PS, Nice track too :)
I am Dyslexic of Borg, resemblance is fertile, your ass will be laminated.

Saga Musix

hm, i use modplug for so long now and i have not noticed that his works with wave export... :D or maybe it did not work with the old releases? don't remeber...
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

I didn't notice the fact, but Jojo has a strong point about the DC-offset of a sample. Maximum amplification etc.
Besides the basic rule, that a sample should begin and and end with a 'zero' value anyway.
2 cubaxd
Laziness ? It seems to me that correcting the sample in the first place is much less work than putting the sample with a code in a pattern, then adjusting the speed and the length of the pattern, to get the same wav file saved again. :)

Saga Musix

The DC also plays an important role with older player which don't use click avoidance mechanisms. So if the DC offset is not at zero, you will always hear a click at the beginning and the end of the sample.But that's maybe a bit too off-topic here, maybe someone can put this in the "technical documents"? :)

Sam_Zen

I checked "technical documents" and it would be indeed a useful issue : How to treat samples ?
I've covered part of this item here already : http://www.louigiverona.com/webarchive/samzen/samps/smpvoluk.html

timtek

Saga Musix

timtek