[discussion] Parents, children and sound music

Started by Louigi Verona, August 17, 2009, 06:51:23

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

Quote from: "Nahkranoth"
Just curious, how many of you guys can imagine what the feck you gonna hear when you seeing a pattern in MPT?

I can. Both ways too. I can see the notes and hear what they represent, and I can hear a melody in my head and visualize the notes to enter.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

bvanoudtshoorn

I'm the same. I guess that it's the same as being able to sight-read notation, or write notation manually in silence. My musical education placed a strong emphasis on this, so I guess that's where I get it from.

Nahkranoth

bv&LP, how I envy you guys! (that's in a good way, I won't stab in the back, you know :D )

uncloned

BV - I didn't know (or forgot ) you were classically trained.

For me....

I can't really sight read - I almost failed ear training.... however, when I improvise it is like playing chess for me - I can "feel" a direction and I can "hear" where the melody wants to go.

But also, I sometimes make mistakes - and being able to capitalize on them is really important to successful improvisation.

When I do write - I have a hazy idea what note I want but often have to correct my placement.

uncloned

Quote from: "Nahkranoth"bv&LP, how I envy you guys! (that's in a good way, I won't stab in the back, you know :D )

considering neither (so far) has entered the $35 compo I think you have a leg or two up on them :-)

Nahkranoth

bvanoudtshoorn

Quote from: "uncloned"BV - I didn't know (or forgot ) you were classically trained.

Well, I'm classically-trained inasmuch as I studied music at primary/high school in a 'classical' sense, and about two thirds of my musical tuition has been 'classical'. :)

Sorry to be slightly OT.