[classical harpsichord] sonata 6 m 1 (mp3)

Started by uncloned, August 10, 2009, 00:58:10

Previous topic - Next topic

uncloned

I was fooling around with different instruments for this movement and liked this version.

I must admit I feel humble tonight with two great pieces being uploaded. This sounds worn and tired in comparison. (But then the basic music is some 11 years old to me so... in a way it is.)

http://clones.soonlabel.com/mp3/sonata6m1-harpsichord.mp3

Sam_Zen

Neat work. I'm fond of the harpsichord sound..

uncloned

Me too. The lone comment I got on traxinspace is:

by noahcohn
I would enjoy this a lot more if the sampled sound wasn't so harsh and digital.. i usually try to soften them with chorus/reverb/EQ..

That I don't see... but... whatever.

Thanks for the listen and comment Sam!!

psishock

hey, isn't this...? :D
My opinion, this melody don't fit with the harpsichord's hard sound (i like the harpsichord as an instruments, it's just don't seems to fit here), but with any soft sound like softened piano, also i would slow the piece down a bit, but i guess it's all personal.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

uncloned

Of course another interpetation would be great :-)

With the piano I was using it sounded like too much blur from the pedal marks.

TheEagle

Enjoyed!
The harpsichord is definitely not one of my favourite instruments (I would prefer a nice sounding piano), but I think it fits the melody here...

Nice work, Mr. uncloned.

Nahkranoth

I agree with psishock that the melody is not for harpsichord, but I like it so much that I would listen to it even if played on wooden spoons :D
Anyway I'm glad it's not piano.  :wink: to The Eagle.

QuoteThe lone comment I got on traxinspace is:

by noahcohn
I would enjoy this a lot more if the sampled sound wasn't so harsh and digital.. i usually try to soften them with chorus/reverb/EQ..
Weaklings :evil:

uncloned

Quote from: "Nahkranoth"

QuoteThe lone comment I got on traxinspace is:

by noahcohn
Weaklings :evil:

ROFLOL!!

uncloned

Louigi Verona

Hm. This situation is not new for me too - each time I present someone with a harpsichord piece they say they would have preferred a piano. I really believe it has something to do with people not being used to a harpsichord. In my opinion, the melody fits the instrument quite fine. I also strongly believe that if it would've been done on a piano, the impression would be pretty different.

uncloned

uncloned

Quote from: "Louigi Verona"Hm. This situation is not new for me too - each time I present someone with a harpsichord piece they say they would have preferred a piano. I really believe it has something to do with people not being used to a harpsichord. In my opinion, the melody fits the instrument quite fine. I also strongly believe that if it would've been done on a piano, the impression would be pretty different.

Its a shame because the harpsichord is a wonderful instrument.

Louigi Verona

I second that. But I was told by one musician once that harpsichord requires a lot of ornamentation to really sound good. I am not sure if it is true.

uncloned

I would say it requires ornamentation to sound baroque... which was a period in music where *everything* had lots of ornamentation.  People in general probably place the instrument in this period - which was the height of its usage before the piano took its place.

Lots of pop music since the 60's have used a harpsichord sound w/o ornamentation.

TheEagle

I'm feeling a bit ashamed, but after I've compared both versions I definitely prefer the piano-version...:oops:
Unlike other classical (orchestra) instruments, a harpsichord sounds simply 'old-fashioned' to me.
Quote from: "Nahkranoth"Anyway I'm glad it's not piano.  :wink: to The Eagle.
*lol*:D
Quote from: "uncloned"Lots of pop music since the 60's have used a harpsichord sound w/o ornamentation
Uhmm...at the moment I really don't remember pop-songs which have used a harpsichord.