OpenMPT release package (moved from What is mptm?)

Started by fluor, August 06, 2009, 12:57:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Relabsoluness

Currently the OpenMPT package is quite plain: no samples, no VSTs, no tutorial or help files and not even an example mod. Can't say it's a surprise if a newcomer has severe problems to get started. But I don't think it's a good idea to create one huge package with everything included but instead have a separate package for these. This could have samples(preferably public domain?), VSTs and example mods of different styles from small demo style modules to module using VSTs.

If I recall correctly, including VST was planned earlier as well but then faded away because no one would do the work involved.

LPChip

To jojo: I only gave a max 500kb limit to have a max. Sure, I can make great music in under 20kb. Hence, I made a 1kb tune twice that was good XD

But I agree with Relabs too. We should have a plain version package for sure, and possibly offer different "example" packages for the user to examine.

Maybe I can find a way to let php create zip packages based on a link. We just upload the packages seperatelly but php creates the packages for us. I'm sure that must be possible one way or the other!

I'll look into that.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

LPChip: 100kb max per song sounds reasonable for me. Maybe 200.

Well there was this MPT release with the mda plugins once...

A good "beginners" package would maybe include mda series, kjaerhus classic series, freeverb, electri-q, maybe some more stuff from smartelectronix guys and maybe some other small plugins.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

uncloned

well... I know these VSTs like to go in a steinberg named folder but...

can't we have a default folder created with the VSTs that is created when OMPT unzips and is in the configuration file with a read me notice on how to point somewhere else if need be?

Saga Musix

Some installers look for a Wavelab / Cubase VST folder, but you don't do anything about that. And SmartElectronix plugins normally come without installation, or we could of course ask if we can distribute "raw" versions of the plugin packages.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

Hm. The usual mistake : defining 'professionalism' an equivalent for having lots of expensive equipment,
chasing high quality audio, or having a fancy set of VST's..
QuoteNo registry flag will be set and no installer will be used.
Hurray !

I think it's better to keep the basic package as about as small as it is, and make seperate packs of add-ons, like VST, samples, or demosongs
As far as samples are concerned, I saved an old starter-kit here