Set/Edit Author

Started by LB, August 05, 2009, 01:49:11

Previous topic - Next topic

LB

I did some searching and I couldn't find anything about setting or editing the song author's name. Is there any way I can do this? Or will it be added in the new version of ModPlug? I noticed that some songs already have an author set, so I'm pretty sure it's possible.

Thanks,
-LB
Don't feed the bunnies. They will bring thier friends next time.

~MMF2 Developer user~
[color=green]LB-Stuff[/color] - My Website

Saga Musix

You can write your name everywhere you want, including the song title or comments field. :P
More seriously, though: I think there were some plans about this (as the dialog for this already exists), however this has never been finished. I've planned an author element for the upcoming revision of the MPTM format, so it might happen "soon".
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

g

I think it would be nice if this also supported file properties (author, title etc.), it's nice for sorting files on other premises than filename.

LPChip

And it would also be great if this info can be written in an ID3 tag when writing to wav or mp3.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

ID3 support already exists, so I don't see a reason why the author field should not be used.

I think it would be nice if this also supported file properties (author, title etc.), it's nice for sorting files on other premises than filename.
What file properties do you mean? NTFS Metastreams? I'm strongly against using them.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

g

Quote from: JojoI
QuoteWhat file properties do you mean? NTFS Metastreams? I'm strongly against using them.
Yes those are what I mean, and also bummer. What about using them non-exclusively?

Saga Musix

I don't see a point in supporting a specific file system and actually MPT should get as platform-independent as possible in the future. This is a step in a completely different direction.

g

I agree 100% that MPT should get as platform independent as possible, but I still don't see how *supporting* anything on any platform or file system would be a step in any direction. Anyway, it's not an important feature so nevermind.

Saga Musix

well, supporting something platform-specific also implies platform-specific code. In this case, I think it would involve code for filesystem detection (whether NTFS is used at all) and writing into the NTFS meta stream.

LB

OK, so this is something that could be added? Well I'll wait for it if it ever comes. Thanks!
Don't feed the bunnies. They will bring thier friends next time.

~MMF2 Developer user~
[color=green]LB-Stuff[/color] - My Website

Sam_Zen

As said, the XM and IT format offers plenty of room to add all kinds of info like author or date.

Quote from: "Jojo"ID3 support already exists
Really ? How do ?
(btw : I don't think it's the task of OMPT to include ID3 tags..)

Saga Musix

As said, the XM and IT format offers plenty of room to add all kinds of info like author or date.
The XM format originally had no song message, this is just another way of ModPlug raping the XM format.

Really ? How do ?
(btw : I don't think it's the task of OMPT to include ID3 tags..)
Click "Export as MP3" and have a look. It's only ID3v1 though, and that's outdated and should not be used. Writing ID3 tags is easy, so I don't see why modplug should not do it. Especially since it can save quite some work later.

Sam_Zen

Maybe XM didn't have a comment room, but before that, people wrote messages in the sample list.

Saga Musix

yes, but you can do that for _every_ format, not only XM/IT. :)

And while we're at it, ID3v1 support has been dropped in favor of ID3v2. This is much more flexible and allows more flexibility for other format like OGG with tags etc in the future...

Sam_Zen