[electronic] only the things that i fear (mp3)

Started by uncloned, July 31, 2009, 17:01:23

Previous topic - Next topic

uncloned

http://clones.soonlabel.com/mp3/daily2009073109-only-the-things-that-i-fear.mp3

serial improvisation with

korg ms 2000
session drummer
cameleon 5000
rapture LE
z3ta+

Now new and improved!

Removed session drummer and Norm Harris contributed percussion - then reproduced and remastered

http://clones.soonlabel.com/mp3/daily200908011-things-i-fear-norm-v1.mp3

Sam_Zen

Quite good, Clones.
I like the combination of chord sounds with powerful electronic ones.
Heard a vocoder. Are there lyrics ?

uncloned

I did use the Korg MS 2000 vocoder and the only lyrics are the title.

Thanks for the listen and comment Sam. This was another trip to 4 am :-)

uncloned

serial improvisation with

korg ms 2000
cameleon 5000
rapture LE
z3ta+

Now new and improved!

Removed session drummer and Norm Harris contributed percussion - then reproduced and remastered

http://clones.soonlabel.com/mp3/daily200908011-things-i-fear-norm-v1.mp3

Sam_Zen

It starts with an obvious Indian association.
But it goes way beyond that. You gave it your own turn.
A right balance throughout qua chaos and order. A very strong piece, Clones..

uncloned

thank you for the listen and comment Sam!

I really do like this version much better. I think the syntheszer looping leads come out much more. and I'm partial to Norm's work :-)

Nahkranoth

Jeez that picture looks like StarWars lol
I'm only downloading now, so the comment will be tomorrow.

Harbinger

Notes as i'm listening

Steady odd beat, sparse chord progressions, primitive melodies, but the thing i like the most about this is the ambience of the layer of white noise behind everything, making it sound less digital and more natural.
The sonic strokes are both unnerving but attention-demanding, like a circus freak show where the bearded lady is HOT! Or the clowns put on a dramatic reading of Beowulf in Chinese.
I was worried about the sonic progression but it steadily shifted with each page of music. The vocoded lyrics are especially evocative; it's one of the few times when i DON'T want to know what the words are. The electronic syllables are an instrument unto themselves...

One of your better productions, uncloned, although (as i'm sure you've heard me say before) a BIT too long. And like most of your music, i'm not allowed to put it in the background! :lol:

uncloned

Hi Harbinger - thanks for the listen and comment - which version is you comment for?

and outside of the title the vocoded voice is mouthing "oh wah wah " sort of

Harbinger

I didn't see the second one. Blind spot! I guess i was listening to the topmost version in the first post.

Why? You think the second one is better, or should be the one we "remember"? I'm glad to critique it if you think the difference is great enough that it needs its own listen... 8)

uncloned

It is signifactly different. For one it has a real percussist.

It would be great to have your thoughts.

Harbinger

Will do. But i'll hafta get back to you next weekend. :(
:)

Harbinger

Notes as i'm listening:

Yes, it's different than the first. There were some FX added? I hear what i think are bongos in this version.

I would love to be able to ignore this as it plays, but it won't let me! :P

I'm struck at the musical design, where i'm forced to beg the question: "Is this music?" It's not noise. But there is no formal (or at least traditional) form. There is an archecture but it reminds me of Escher. There's no "Okay this is a new section," or "Now the solo." or "Here's the refrain." Something like notes, but no chords. Something like percussion but no rhythm. Something like lyrics but no melody.

It's been said that Drone is the edge of music. If this were drone, it would be Complex Drone.

The electrical motif that permeates the song reminds me of Sam_Zen's Binary tracks (in timbre not design). I had to smile at the laser show at 5:10, but was sad that my previous experiences made it sound like a laser fight, instead of allowing the timbres to be their own entity. I never would have guessed the repeated robovoice was the title, and i wish  i had never been told. The bongos are actually the strangest element, because one tends to think of primitive music when they're played. But it hovers around the technologically advanced environment created by the other sounds like a freakish paradox.

I think after a few listens and desensitizing myself to the strangeness of the track, i MAY be able to put it in my background rotation. But i'll hafta fit it in with some of the eclectic music from Sam_Zen and other musical envelope-pushers. :wink:

uncloned

I'm not sure "form" is a requirement. If I listen to Phillip Glass  "music with changing parts" what I hear is a constant progression. I like that. Also tradition form A:B:A or verse chorus verse chorus middle 8 solo on verse chorus - it really works if there is a melodic hook - not all music has that. The hook can be a beat, texture or timbre. Again.... musical form - which is really a study in repetition, is it a necessity? I question that. Kinda irked my piano teacher with that attitude :-)

Laser fight - I guess if I would have gradually slowed down the portamento on the "hits" I would have done better - is that kinda what you were after?

And freakish paradox = good thing!!

Sam_Zen

Fun ! An envelope-pusher... here, kid, a free envelope.. I'll be back with some stronger envelopes, which will cost..

I agree with Clones about 'form'. If it is a requirement, it should be accepted nowadays that it doesn't only mean a 'static' one, but the form itself can be composed 'dynamic' as well.
In electronics, even a single score with notes could start with one instrument, but end up with another.