[ambient] MinToMaj (Disc Shelf)

Started by Louigi Verona, July 28, 2009, 16:51:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Louigi Verona

Okay guys, the material I want to show you is a bit raw, but I wanted to share it nevertheless.

http://www.disc-shelf.com/?album=127

MinToMaj - that is at some point of the track minor transforms into major.

The tune is done with Tape Loops.

uncloned

Louigi Verona

http://www.louigiverona.com/files/mintomaj.mp3

Just using Disc Shelf to avoid using up all of the monthly bandwidth of louigiverona.com ;)

uncloned

very nice piece. the transition between modes was much more subtle than I anticipated. I like the bells as a contrast to the pads.

thanks for providing the DL.

Louigi Verona

Thanks for kind words!

Playing around with Tape Loops, I've found a good thing about the CFG chord/combination. By using CFG pads you can switch between Cmin and Cmaj with the pads making sense in both cases =)

Sam_Zen

Clones already said it.. :)

Raw ? I don't hear that.

This piece is a final answer to the question : is TapeLoops useful ?

Then of course I wondered : Could this be reproduced with live playing ?
Or is this already recorded like that ?

uncloned

LV

You were using CFG as a "pivot" chord - but between modes instead of between keys. In "classical" harmony a pivot chord allows you to smoothly change key.

I find CFG (C suspended 4th) to be an interesting chord.

1. It has a major second between F and G - most people consider the major 2nd consonant in this chord but dissonant otherwise.

2. If you drop the G down an octave you get GCF which is a chord built on 4ths.

3. If instead you drop the F down an octave you get FCG which is a chord built on 5ths.

4. Using chord built on 5ths and 4ths are a good way to be ambiguous in if you are in major or minor - which is what you did in your tape loop piece.

Louigi Verona

QuoteThen of course I wondered : Could this be reproduced with live playing ?
Or is this already recorded like that ?

Not really. In order to play this live you've got either to have a friend help you or yourself click away and start various sounds at random intervals. And humans are not very good at random.

But you can write down compositions for Tape Loops and I have already done so - listing the samples I used and what settings and in what order.

Chris, thx for the info, most useful points!

maleek

I am impressed. I agree with Sam_Zen, this truly answers the question if your software can have any use: it obviously does! :)

uncloned

LV - please develop a version that can record on the fly and let you build up loops. That would be great.

Louigi Verona

Well, with the recording on the fly - if you do not feel that using a separate audio editor is a good solution - I can try to do this: a Recorder deck. You would be able to create a deck and start recording from it. You would be able to choose from where to record and if you choose Stereo Mix (Wave Out), you'll record the whole output into the wave file.
I'll get right on it today.

As for building up loops - you mean the MDI design? Because you can build up loops very well in this version too, please observe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dn2O7zICXU

uncloned

LV - look into this internet radio station

http://somafm.com/play/dronezone

they have a drone channel - I see Steve Roach on the list now.
You can submit your tunes for them to play.

The reason for recording iss to do a performance in real time (which is what I thought you were after).

Mixing a number of pre-recorded loops real time is less interesting to me as a performer and listener imho.

I once posted an echoplex sound on sound tape composition on TiS at your request actually and received positive comments - one comment was:

Now, in the time of laptops, samplers, digital effects, workstations and arranger keyboards, one man on stage with mono synth and Echoplex would be nice, even playing shytes like this.

http://www.traxinspace.com/song/40974

I guess I should post it here now.

Louigi Verona

Yeah, thanks for the Drone Zone advice. This is the channel which initially introduced me to drone music several years ago. I did send them tunes but I do not know whether they accepted them. I doubt it, but if they did it is nice.

I am at this very moment working on ability to record a loop, so it would be possible to record a loop, let it play, then open another recorder loop, record more, then sync it with the first, let it play - but I am yet unsure how that should work to be convenient. As soon as I have a working version of the Recording function, I will tell you and we may test it and see what else needs to be done.

Sam_Zen

Will it be possible to record the total mix of all the loops ?

Louigi Verona

Yeah, you'll be able to choose the input source - be it mic or wave out (if your sound card has it).

Again, I am sorry that it is not a one app design yet, but I really have to take my pace with it. Three months ago I did not know how to progamm for desktop at all.