Top Ten of Games

Started by cyperkid, February 01, 2006, 11:40:51

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidN

"Sierra instant death" was just referring to the fact that in Sierra adventure games you could die with alarming regularity.

LucasArts parodied this in the original Monkey Island, where at one point you can walk onto the edge of a cliff, then it crumbles away and falls off. A Sierra-style "Restore/Restart/Quit" menu pops up, then disappears as Guybrush flies back onto the screen, apparently catapulted back by a rubber tree.

They weren't being unreasonable, either - in some of the King's Quest games it was difficult to make it from one side of the screen to another without dying. One particular choice moment was in the remake of KQ2 where you can examine a rock only for it to explode and kill you.

Prince of Persia was fantastic, by the way. It was on the PC, anyway - it seemed that each of the console versions was messed up horribly in some way or another, apart from the SNES version.

Relabsoluness

speed-goddamn-focus

I suppose I forgot to mention Flashback, now that was a great game.

cyperkid

by the way (a little bit offtopic maybe)
did a game ever stress you so much that you dreamed of playing it?!

my worst nightmare was Tetris though
like putting that thing at the left, that box in the middle, the long blanket at the right and GOTCHA  ;D

i didn't feel relaxed the next morning

but i also dreamed of tracking modules.
dreaming of amazing sounds and melodies.
(and never managed to reproduce them after waking up)

well, was something wrong with me?
8)
commodore stole my childhood

rewbs

Quote from: "speed-goddamn-focus"I suppose I forgot to mention Flashback, now that was a great game.
Argh how did I forget Flashback??
Thanks for reminding - had to add it to my list. :)

fisk0

When it's about the game music my favourites are:
System Shock (PC)
System Shock 2 (PC)
Tetris (GB)
MegaMan II (GB)
Chrono Trigger (SNES)
Chrono Cross (PSX)
F29 Retaliator (PC)
Populous (PC, with music by Rob Hubbard :)
Dark Reign (PC, music by Danny Pelfrey)
Total Annihilation (PC, wonderful orchestral/classical music by Jeremy Soule)
Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn (PC, the original first game had the best music in my opinion, with the expansion pack Covert Ops being #2)
Unreal Tournament (PC, Who can resist tracker music?)
Unreal (PC, same as above)
Deus Ex (PC, and again ...)
7th Legion (PC, though the game was crap it's fasttracker XM music was just great)
Dune 2/Dune 2000 (PC, has Frank Klepacki ever made a game soundtrack?)
Dune (PC, the original adventure game had some very great and original songs)
Speedball 2 (PC/Amiga/C64)
Death Rally (PC, great module music by Purple Motion/FC)
Quake (PC, Trent Reznor's music fits the game perfectly)
Shogun: Total War (PC, traditional japanese music)
Wing Commander 1/2 (PC)
Wing Commander 4 (PC)

Of course, there is more. There is always more, though I can't remember any more right now.

Squirrel Havoc

Oh crap, how could I forget Carmaggedon for the PC? That was a killer game, don't remember any music in it, i played it a long time ago. When it comes to music, I think the coolest was the theme in Dracula's castle in Castlevania 2 for the NES. Man, that theme was stuck in my head for weeks. I have it on a ROM, but I can't seem to get that far, it was the last level in a very hard game :)
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

Snu

Quote from: "Squirrel Havoc"Oh crap, how could I forget Carmaggedon for the PC? That was a killer game, don't remember any music in it, i played it a long time ago. When it comes to music, I think the coolest was the theme in Dracula's castle in Castlevania 2 for the NES. Man, that theme was stuck in my head for weeks. I have it on a ROM, but I can't seem to get that far, it was the last level in a very hard game :)

carmageddon has a couple good tracks, had cd audio.
man that was a fun game... pinball mode was the most hilarious thing ever.  i tried to run it on xp... it screwed it up totally :(
as for the nes game music, go here: http://www.zophar.net/nsf/
i love nes and gb soundtracks.