Updated keymaps

Started by Saga Musix, July 26, 2009, 11:33:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

QuoteI know you have asked it about this before, but how do you want it?
Since I don't know notes I have put all the notes in a octave on a single row, making it possible to have 3 octaves ready all the time.
That is totally up to you. What you are referring to is a chromatic keyboard setup, which is the MPT default (at least if the QWERTY row is the lowest octave). So your keyboard layout could be labeled "NO Rakib (MPT)" or something like that. People have different habits and I know many who don't like this chromatic setup, so it's always good to have as many key maps as possible.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Saga Musix

Soooo, LPChip? Barry? :P
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Saga Musix

I will just put this here so it won't get lost, and everyone can use this information for extending their own outdated keymaps.

A few words about how to upgrade your keymap and make it future-proof for OpenMPT 1.18+:

If you're using an old keymap from the OpenMPT 1.17 era, the keys for the order list should automatically be added (they were not customizable in OpenMPT 1.17). If everything went alright, the old orderlist shortcuts should still work (if they don't - tell me!). You should be able to change all of them from the keyboard manager now.

Please also have a look at those (more or less) recent shortcuts and find a key combination for them. Suggested shortcuts are annotated.

Global Keys

• Paste Flood (paste clipboard content again and again until it hits the pattern bottom) (Shift+V)
  • Push forward paste (Something+V, if possible - If you already have paste, mix paste and paste flood, there's most likely no good key combination left)
  • Toggle overflow paste (not that important)
Pattern Editor - General

• Duplicate pattern (Ctrl+D), Edit plugin assigned ot PC Note, toggle channel's plugin editor (ctrl+alt+p), split keyboard settings dialog (Ctrl+E)
Pattern Editor - Note Col

• PC(s) Notes
  • Note Fade and/or Note Fade (don't remember instrument), depending on the style you already use for Note Cut and Note Fade (key next to 0 recommended)
Sample Editor

• Possibly all shortcuts above the separator (--------). (Ctrl+T, Backspace, Shift+N, Ctrl+M, Del, +, -, Ctrl+I, Ctrl+U, Ctrl+E, Ctrl+D, Ctrl+L)
Instrument Editor Editor
  • Ctrl+D, Shift+Ctrl+E, Ctrl+E, Shift+Ctrl+M, Ctrl+M, Ctrl+R, and the same shortcuts for tranposing as you use them in the pattern editor.
Envelope Editor

• Suggested shortcuts for envelope editing: Shift+Tab, Tab, Left, Right, Up, PgUp, Down, PgDn, Ins, Del, Home, End, Ctrl+Home, Ctrl+End, Ctrl+R. It would be a good idea to enable the "on key hold" checkbox for the first 10 shortcuts.
Plugin Editor

• Possibly all shortcuts. (Left, Right, Up, Down, Ctrl+P, Ctrl+R, Ctrk+K, Ctrl+B)
That's all. Have a nice day and thanks for helping to improve OpenMPT! :)

Saga Musix

It's that time of year again. We're close to a release and the keymaps need to be updated. Most of those that ship with OpenMPT still haven't been touched in years, I've tried to add some new shortcuts by myself (please check the current versions if one of your keymaps is shipped with OpenMPT) but that is of course not enough. Please have a look at the post above and update your keymap if you haven't done so already. Here's also a list of shortcuts that will be new in OpenMPT 1.19, so please grab the latest test version and update your keymaps with those new shortcuts!
These are all new shortcuts, together with suggested default shortcuts, if there are any (some shortcuts don't have to be assigned by default IMO, so I left them blank):

Global keys

• Panic
  • View Edit History

Pattern Editor - Orderlist

• Set Invalid Index (I)
  • Set Separator Index (Space Bar)

Pattern Editor - General

• Select beat (Ctrl+B)
  • Select measure (Ctrl+Shift+B)

Sample Editor

• Quick fade (Ctrl+D)
  • Crossfade sample loop (Ctrl+L)

Of course and especially with older keymaps, I'd appreciate if you went through all shortcuts (it's really not that many) and check if there are any unassigned shortcuts in your keymap that would make sense to be assigned.

Also, even if none of your keymaps are included in the OpenMPT package, there's still a way how you can help:

• If you are using one of the keymaps that ship with OpenMPT, but it hasn't been updated by the author for a long time (that's true for most of them), send me an updated version of that keymap.
  • If you are using a custom keymaps and think that it would make sense to include it in the packge, send me that keymap!

Saga Musix

Two new shortcuts, Select beat and Select measure have been added to the pattern editor in the latest test version . See above.

Harbinger

You have some interesting additions. Those last four, can you describe the Select Beat and Sample Fade functions? Are these new functions?

Saga Musix

Select beat / measure extends the current selection to the beginning and end of the beat(s) / measure(s) it is in. So if I made a selection from row 3 to 5 and have 4 rows per beat, the selection would be extended to rows 0-7.
    Quick fade is a shortcut for fading in and fading out samples. If the current selection starts at the beginning of a sample, a fade from 0% to 100% is automatically applied. If the selection ends at the end of the sample, it is faded out. Since no amplification dialog is called, it's called "quick" fade. It really speeds up those two actions if you use them a lot (shamelessly copied the idea from Wavelab :P).

Saga Musix

Since a few years now, new shortcuts were added automatically to existing key maps, rendering this topic and its instructions kinda obsolete.

However, there has been one big deficiency in OpenMPT that has bothered me for years, especially since it was not there in the ole ModPlug Tracker: Note mappings are not layout-independent. What does that mean? Imagine you have a German (QWERTZ) or French (AZERTY) layout. The keymap saves e.g. "Base octave C is mapped to key Q". That works in most (ISO and US) layouts, however on the French keyboard, the letter Q is in a completely different place. In the case of the German keyboard, Z and Y are swapped, so the two notes mapped to those two keys are swapped as well. Things like this are why OpenMPT ships with several key maps which pretty much only differ in their note mappings.

I have now found a way to kinda return to the way ModPlug Tracker did this: In addition to "virtual key codes", which OpenMPT used until now, it also stores a "scan code" for note keys, which tells it where on the keyboard this key is located. This way, note keys are completely independent of how the letters are arranged on the keyboard. The default key map now has its keys stored as scan codes, but I cannot do this for the user-provided key maps, because how they should be interpreted depends on the original layout they were designed for.

So once again I am asking everyone who contributed a key map to grab r7363 or later from https://buildbot.openmpt.org/builds/ (it's still compiling, so it should be up in a few hours), load your keymap and then simply re-save it to a file, and then post the new file here so that I can replace it. This way, the note keys in your file will also work for other people who use a different layout.
    Thanks!

Fler0301

Hello, Saga Musix! Here my key file with  Cyrillic+Latin settings :)

Saga Musix

Thanks, I'll look into packaging it into OpenMPT 1.27.
    So I understand that switching between Windows keyboard layouts still works as expected? I just want to be absolutely sure that multi-layout users are still as well-supported as in previous versions. Especially if you start OpenMPT with e.g. cyrillic layout the one time but have latin layout enabled the other time.

Fler0301

Yes, it is absolutely correct for me. I have tested all keys on the different keyboard layouts and found no problems on version r7377.

Thank you for your great job! You are really making our tracker the best!

Rakib

Norwegian keymap
    ^^

Saga Musix

LPChip

LPChip - Impulse Tracker.mkb
    "Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
    "yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Thanks for the update. Can you please check the instrument section? It already had some weird duplicate keys (due to an old bug) in the version that ships with OpenMPT, but now two keys are assigned thrice there:
    9:1920:2:81:1 //Load Envelope: Ctrl+Q (KeyDown)
    9:1921:2:81:1 //Save Envelope: Ctrl+Q (KeyDown)
    9:1921:2:65:1 //Save Envelope: Ctrl+A (KeyDown)
    9:1837:2:65:1 //Zoom In: Ctrl+A (KeyDown)
    9:1837:2:81:1 //Zoom In: Ctrl+Q (KeyDown)
    9:1838:2:65:1 //Zoom Out: Ctrl+A (KeyDown)