[tape loops] "random play" decks (YouTube)

Started by Louigi Verona, July 26, 2009, 17:01:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Louigi Verona

Hey guys!
I am proud to show you the latest feature of Tape Loops. It is called "random play". What it does is trigger the deck at a random time, thus allowing to either create ambience or allow the composer to put together a complex texture of sound with randomized "melodies" and events.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRF438OPoYY

Saga Musix

It's interesting how "not random" random stuff can sound. And how well it can sound. Cool! :D
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

Yep, cool sounds indeed ! And good to see how it works.
I thought I had the latest version, but can't find a "random play"..

uncloned

Nice LV

Can one trigger each instance manually if wanted?

Also, how does one capture the output? Does your app stream to disk?

Louigi Verona

Sam: if you download now, you will have the latest version. Today I plan to work on the description of the program, since you might've noticed that there are several new functions there, including fade in/fade out, self muting/unmuting decks, etc.

To use random play just hit 'u'.

Chris: yep, sure, you can trigger it manually, no problem.

The app doesn't stream to disc - remember that those are instances of one app. To catch output use a sound editor to record from soundcard - this is how I do it.

Louigi Verona

Oh, and here's a small demo of the master deck synchronization:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=129YkdCfrBE

I prefer to sync manually, though.

Sam_Zen

I guess in this demo all tracks have the same length.
First test with a single file :

1. Switching to Random will give that dip too, because 'Loop' is switched to 'Once'.

2. In Random mode pressing Stop is not permanent. Only if 'U' is pressed again first.

3. The function with volume keys is a bit fuzzy. It's not setting a volume, fadein/fadeout "limit",
but a starting point for a fade, no matter the direction.
Next to that, the numbers can be used as a rough setting of the main volume instead of the slider.

3a. Now I get the hang of it, to define the range for fading in or out within.
But if the lowest volume is set at 30, yet, if 'Z' is pressed again after reaching 30, it goes down to zero.
Same at the highest fade-in point with 'X' again. No problem with that, could be useful.

4. What's the 'f' doing in the right bottom corner ?

5. I think you should mention in the description the different background colors relating the present mode.

6. The +,- - double/divide function ? I wonder if I would use that. The other controls are good enough.

A suggestion for the spare 'O' : Defining an 'offset-point' on the time-slider.
As already can be done manually when starting in Loop mode.
Setting the slider and then pressing 'O' would assign this offset-point coupled to the main start-sync.

uncloned

Nice tune

Does BASS allow for recording a performance?

Louigi Verona

Sam, thanks for commenting.

QuoteI guess in this demo all tracks have the same length.

Well - yeah. Well, you can have double the length or triple the length, but it should be the same tempo, byte precise. Just saving from a sequencer/tracker will do.

Quote1. Switching to Random will give that dip too, because 'Loop' is switched to 'Once'.

Yeah, although you would rarely want to start a loop and then switch to random play - in my experience you start random play immediately.

Quote2. In Random mode pressing Stop is not permanent. Only if 'U' is pressed again first.

If you click "Stop" it will stop it too, but I've left the keyboard to allow to manipulate the deck a bit during random play.

Quote3. The function with volume keys is a bit fuzzy. It's not setting a volume, fadein/fadeout "limit",
but a starting point for a fade, no matter the direction.

This is incorrect. Your next point seems to indicate that you've got how it works, but just to be clear - the fade limit is what it is. If you put it to 40 and then start fadeout from 100, it will end at 40.

QuoteBut if the lowest volume is set at 30, yet, if 'Z' is pressed again after reaching 30, it goes down to zero.

Yep. I decided it is a good way to handle this situation.

Quote4. What's the 'f' doing in the right bottom corner ?

It's in the description - fade speed. f stands for fast.

Quote5. I think you should mention in the description the different background colors relating the present mode.

Thanks, I will, although I think it is obvious.

Quote6. The +,- - double/divide function ? I wonder if I would use that. The other controls are good enough.

If you are using a keyboard and want to get a volume of, say, 15, you won't be able to do it. Only by setting volume 30 and then dividing it.

QuoteA suggestion for the spare 'O' : Defining an 'offset-point' on the time-slider.

A very good suggestion! I will remember that.

Saga Musix

@uncloned: Yes, BASS can record audio, but as long as Louigi doesn't use MDI, it wouldn't work very well (you'd have to poll the "master out" of the soundcard, or a loopback device).
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

uncloned

Louigi Verona

Yeah, sorry Chris for not getting back to you - missed your question while answering to Sam.

Yep - Jojo is right. Those being different instances of one app - you can record the output only by recording from the output of your soundcard.

uncloned

You should submit this to the kvr audio sound app contest. According to the email newsletter you have 3 months to submit.