[discussion] Do you believe in paranormal?

Started by Louigi Verona, July 23, 2009, 06:55:51

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

I think an important question should be asked before anyone can actually answer this question.

What do you think that Paranormal means? If you hear this term, what do you think is being ment?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Louigi Verona

I read the wikipedia definition and it's pretty much how I understand the term:

QuoteParanormal is a general term that describes unusual experiences that lack a scientific explanation, or phenomena alleged to be outside of science's current ability to explain or measure. In parapsychology, it is used to describe the potentially psychic phenomena of telepathy, extra-sensory perception, psychokinesis, ghosts, and hauntings. The term is also applied to UFOs, some creatures that fall under the scope of cryptozoology, purported phenomena surrounding the Bermuda Triangle, and other non-psychic subjects.

psishock

reading the wikipedia definition i have some doubts now, i think they are generalizing the term too much, i mean telepathy, psychokinesis example "could" be the work of a differently trained or more developed brain, good example is that even some animals are communicating with each other without any "sound" involved.
Now "ghosts" however, especially "hauntings"....meh, we're getting into a lot more different and complicated area. I mean wtf, it should be all about the brain. If we die, brain dies with all our gathered memory, personality, desires, sense and... well... you know, everything. So that's really it for us. Hauntings huh....
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Louigi Verona

Quotei mean telepathy, psychokinesis example "could" be the work of a differently trained or more developed brain

The problem with it is the same as UFO - while it is conceivable, it has never been observed. Thus - paranormal.

LPChip

Quote from: "Louigi Verona"
Quotei mean telepathy, psychokinesis example "could" be the work of a differently trained or more developed brain

The problem with it is the same as UFO - while it is conceivable, it has never been observed. Thus - paranormal.

Actually, I disagree here, simply because an UFO is also a generalised word.

The military has secret experimental flying objects which are also being named as UFO's, but they are far from paranormal.

I have actually seen one on december 26th 2008. It was flying quite low over my house, and I could see it pretty well. It was triangular shaped, had 4 flames coming from the bottom, didn't make any sound, moved in a straight line using the same velocity during the time I could see it, it had no blinking lights like normal aircrafts do.

I am also very certain that it is not an alien device too.

More people have reported seeing something similar, and pictures also came on the internet with explainations aswell claiming it to be a goverment aircraft because an alien aircraft would be round, not triangular.

click for a wikipedia explaination
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs