One Voice Compo

Started by Louigi Verona, January 29, 2006, 17:37:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Louigi Verona

One Voice Compo

Rules.

1. The tune must be a one voice melody, which means that only one note can be played at a time. You can use a second instrument to denote chords.

2. The tune can be of any length and can be presented in the following formats: midi, mod, s3m, xm, it, mp3, ogg.

3. The tune submitted should be composed by you and never before released.

4. The tune must be submitted before March the 1-st, 2006.

For more details, visit the site.

One Voice Compo Site

LPChip

Is it allowed to use NNA to make a sound continue? so just one channel? or is it really monotome? and if i create a bass with an pumping beginning so it sounds like a bass and a basedrum in one, is that allowed? and what about appregio's?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Louigi Verona

Quote from: "LPChip"Is it allowed to use NNA to make a sound continue? so just one channel? or is it really monotome? and if i create a bass with an pumping beginning so it sounds like a bass and a basedrum in one, is that allowed? and what about appregio's?

it is a one voice compo, not one channel, so you cannot use NNA or any other technical tricks. Also, no drums or any other kind of arrangement should be used. The whole point of the compo is to write a melody that would stand out on it's own, without drums and production. Your tune should be a tune that could be written down to a score, like pictured on the site.

You can use arpeggios as long as you don't mean the Jxx effects, but just a sequence of notes. As for Jxx, I think you now understand that this cannot be written to a score. You can try to use Jxx for denoting chords if you like, but I think it would be simplier to use any other instrument for this.

Louigi Verona

we're starting to get first entries :)

LPChip

You might get one from me aswell. :) This is a challange that lies whitin my expertice.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

LPChip

Is it allowed to use reverb to make the single sound more dense? It will not cause major overlapping of sounds, but might get this tiny fraction...

Louigi Verona

use reverb, but not delay.

LPChip

Cool. You can count on an entry with high value. :) (i hope)

Louigi Verona

remember that you can actually submit several tunes.

apple-joe

Quote from: "Louigi Verona"One Voice Compo

Rules.

1. The tune must be a one voice melody, which means that only one note can be played at a time. You can use a second instrument to denote chords.

2. The tune can be of any length and can be presented in the following formats: midi, mod, s3m, xm, it, mp3, ogg.

3. The tune submitted should be composed by you and never before released.

4. The tune must be submitted before March the 1-st, 2006.

For more details, visit the site.

One Voice Compo Site

Does this mean ONE instrument as well as one note at a time?

LPChip

It means: One monotome melody with a possibility of using one 2nd voice for long notes to attenue chords.

apple-joe

Hm. So; one main melody of one sample - which may be harmonized by ONE other sample?

But except this, nothing else?

speed-goddamn-focus

Does it have to be an instrument?

Sam_Zen

A nice challenge, but : I like a more specific description of the 'one voice' concept.
Because a sample doesn't necessary has to mean a single tone of a sound, but a sample could also be a complete chord, a cluster of different sounds, or an instrument playing a 'riff' of several notes in time.
EDIT : I have placed an example of this use in the free music download section.

Louigi Verona

QuoteIt means: One monotome melody with a possibility of using one 2nd voice for long notes to attenue chords.

This is a very nice description!

I don't care what samples or instruments you use, just make sure that the resulting melody is monotone!