Another question: Song Properties unanswered

Started by Harbinger, July 04, 2009, 23:10:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Harbinger

I found the answer to the Linear Frequency slider, but the Wiki leaves off info for the following, which i need answered:

IT-Compatible Gxx usage
Fast Volume Slides (obsolete?)
Extended Filter Range
IT "old" effects

I need to know exactly what is affected, and when the user may need to enable these...

Sam_Zen

Hmm. Good question, I'm curious about that

Saga Musix

IT-Compatible Gxx:
Gxx, Exx and Fxx share the same effect memory.

Fast Volume Slides:
Scream Tracker has two different volume slide modes. From the ScreamTracker manual:
QuoteFast volslides  - Old Scream Trackers had a defective volume slide
                         command, which slid the volume on every frame. When
                         set on, the Fast Volslides option will play the
                         volume slides like the old Scream Trackers. ST3
                         checks for the version number of the tracker the
                         .S3M was made on, and if it's older than 3.2, the
                         fast volslide option will automatically be activated.

Extended Filter Range:
Low/Hipass filter maximum frequency will be doubled. Useful for XMPlay playback because XMPlay will choose modplug's lowpass filter algorithm (which is different from IT's) when this flag is set.

IT old effects:
Some effects are being interpreted as in early versions of Impulse Tracker, for example Tremor (this is not mentioned in the IT manual). Straight from the IT manual:
QuoteDifferences:
                      The Vibrato (and Tremelo) used in IT is smoother than
                      how it was implemented in MOD/S3M/etc. It is updated
                      EVERY frame and hence is independant of song speed,
                      whereas the standard vibrato WAS dependant upon song
                      speed. Vibrato is two times 'deeper' with Old Effects
                      on.

Sample offset commands past the end of a sample in IT
                      were ignored, whereas with Old Effects on, the sample
                      is played from it's end point.

All in all: None of them - apart from Extended Filter Range - "need" to be enabled by users.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Harbinger

My brain is swelling with all this excellent knowledge. Thanks, Jojo!

Quote from: "Jojo"IT-Compatible Gxx:
Gxx, Exx and Fxx share the same effect memory.

Explain "effect memory" in relation to these portamento effects.

Also, i noticed that the "fast slider volume" option was always disabled no matter what format i chose in Song Properties. Is it only enabled when loading an .s3m file?

LPChip

If you use the value 00 for any effect, it means it will use the previous known value.

Example:

G10
G00
G00

equals

G10
G10
G10

I will now give you an example with on and off.

E02
G10
G00
G00
E00
E00

with on, it results in:

E02
G10
G10
G10
E10
E10

with off it results in:

E02
G10
G10
G10
E02
E02

I hope this makes sense. :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

QuoteIs it only enabled when loading an .s3m file?
As ST3's manual says, it's only there to enter the "quirks" mode of old ST3 versions. So it doesn't make sense in any other format, and it should not be enabled.

BTW, it's also worth mentioning that the Exx and Fxx memory are always linked, just the Gxx memory is not always linked.

BTW 2: LPChip got it wrong: Gxx memory is only linked when the flag is set off - Also, this doesn't work if "it compatible mode" is disabled.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs