[DUPE] Mass Pattern Creation

Started by Harbinger, June 26, 2009, 22:37:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Harbinger

Would definitely love to see a keyboard option or context-menu option to create many new patterns at once, perhaps using the current Pattern Attributes.

This would make transferral from paper to MPT easier, especially when inputting by MIDI keyboard (as well as computer keyboard).

Really Weird Person

That would actually be even better than recognition of Sticky Keys. Having the ability to create, say, 1,000 patterns all at once instead of having to hold P (I have Insert Pattern set to Control-Alt-P) the whole time would be excellent!

Sam_Zen

Nice idea.
After all, the patterns can be preset to any length vertically, so why not horizontal too ?

Saga Musix

the horizontal dimension of a pattern would be the number of channels. :P your example fails, as the order list is not connected to the properties of a pattern.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

Of course I meant horizontally in the pattern row. The number of channels is already dealt with.

The order list shouldn't be part of the pattern-properties.
This preset number choice should be part of the order list properties.
In fact, it could be added to the 'Duplicate' function..

Really Weird Person

To Sam_Zen:  If you are referring to the sections of the channels, then that makes sense. I have thought that extention to the effects part (at least) would be nice to see. For example, if that was done, you could perhaps have a position jump that was ABC (2,748) instead of simply AB (171).

Saga Musix

Going to close this one as the answer to the problem is not mass pattern creation, but automatically inserting patterns during recording, as discussed here: http://bugs.openmpt.org/view.php?id=480
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Harbinger

Mm I don't know... ???

The original process was for a single dialog for batch pattern production. You have created a good feature with auto-create, but it's not the same FR. I was hoping for a single window where all the patterns could be reserved at once, with their names, meters, etc.

As far as I'm concerned, my wish is still not manifested, and I'm hoping one day, someone will work on the batch processes for pre-installing patterns, instruments, etc. 8)

Saga Musix

The thing is that you are still thinking about the solution and not the actual problem. And automatically creating more patterns when you need them instead of creating them upfront is a far more elegant solution. FWIW, mass pattern creating is pretty easy by holding Ctrl+D (or whatever your pattern duplicate shortcut would be) for a few seconds, but it's really not what you should be doing to reach your goal.

Harbinger

Okay actually, this FR was an earlier version of this one, a later more detailed wish on my list. This thread actually handles this FR.

My bad. The proposed Pattern Setup dialog is a batch-process, but this satisfies an auto-create request.

(BTW, you set the Pattern Setup as Resolved, when in fact it isn't.)  :P

Saga Musix

The pattern setup dialog is yet another instance of "thinking about the solution rather than the problem". You wanted something to quickly renaming patterns, and I gave it to you - namely the tree view.

Harbinger

Actually it's not. If you review the original FR from that thread, I wanted to be able to set up all patterns and their attributes at once (name, number of rows, the pattern's "time signature" <I>all at once, with as few clicks as possible</I>.

Your solution answers THE original request, and it's a good start for mass creation of patterns, but I for one prefer a database way of entry. If you never get to it, that's fine; hopefully a future dev might find it beneficial...

Saga Musix

Quote from: Harbinger on June 04, 2015, 18:16:42
Actually it's not. If you review the original FR from that thread, I wanted to be able to set up all patterns and their attributes at once (name, number of rows, the pattern's "time signature" all at once, with as few clicks as possible.
The issue tracker entry reads "Rename Pattern shortcut", and that's why it's been marked as resolved. What's written in some thread linked somewhere is really not relevant to the issue itself, hence I closed it to keep the issue tracker tidy. Just saying. Feel free to properly reword the request though and I'll reopen it.