Glossy icon for high resolution monitors 8)

Started by nobuyuki, June 19, 2009, 01:33:17

Previous topic - Next topic

nobuyuki

I'm aware that coda is updating the interface for MPT 1.6 branch so that it supports XP styles and doesn't use depreciated fonts in the interface.  Inspired by the interface modernization, I thought I'd try giving a crack at a new ModPlug icon in the "glossy" style.  Now I should note I'm not really that experienced with making glossy icons, so this could use a little of that super professional polish that I just can't give it, but as a drop-in replacement for high color, high-res displays I don't think it's bad at all:

Download (SVG, AI, PNG, ICO):  http://sharebee.com/5177ce29

If you're running MPT in WINE, the fact that I made it to be SVG compatible should make you happy.  I used Illustrator's SVG export on this, so it may not be 100% accurate to the raster icons and contain scaling artifacts since I didn't work to a strict pixmap.  The shadow's also missing for compatibility reasons, and I hope somebody with vector icon experience can mess around with that if they got the inkling.

Here's what it looks like on the desktop:

Saga Musix

Looks nice. I've made a custom icon for the quick start lately, but it's only 16x16. :)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Saga Musix

http://sagamusix.de/openmpt/download/mptgloss-32-8-4.ico - here's a version with 32-bit and 8-bit versions of the icon as well as the old 4 bit icon - so Windows can always pick the most suitable one. :)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Saga Musix

Based on the MPC logo made by LPChip, I'm working on a new file icon for modules. have a look here, which do you like better? (you can view svg files in a modern Browser if you don't have a vector graphics editor that's capable of loading SVGs)

http://sagamusix.de/openmpt/download/mpticons.zip

EDIT: Added some PNGs for convenience.

Saga Musix

Preview, for even more convenience:

Those files are not optimized yet (some lines should be darker in lower resolutions). I kinda like 3rd most so far, but 2 is also okay. 1 is the one that I personally don't like that much. However, for resolutions like 16x16, it might be the best to choose the one that looks best in that resolution, which is certainly not the 2nd.

nobuyuki

I like the 32px one;  however, at 16px, you might want to utilize an icon that would be easier to recognize in a list of files -- perhaps a miniature representation of a pattern?

Saga Musix

I think that colours and shape are more important at 16px than the actual stuff that is being represented. That's why I would just try to increase contrast and use the icon where the mpt logo is most visible.

LPChip

"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

nobuyuki

Here are some prototype document icons at 16, 32, 48, 128, and 256px raster.  The SVG vector format of this file does not include the raster texts, which are overlaid onto the basic icon to be crisp at specific icon resolutions.

Two prototypes are shown, with and without "Pattern data" so you guys can choose which one's better.  The pattern one's easier to identify from a distance, while the non-pattern one is less cluttered.  A drop shadow's been added to the 256px icon, but can easily be added to the others.

Saga Musix

I like the drafts. Maybe the classic "sample film-strip look" could be incorporated in the logos in some way? I also would like the pattern font to be a bit less square... but apart from that, good job! And yeah, a light shadow would be nice for all icon sizes (apart from 16x16 maybe and 256c versions).

nobuyuki

I have implemented your suggestions.

Here is a link to the download of the rasters and "Clean" SVG vector file.  http://sharebee.com/4b79e3ef

Saga Musix

Sorry, but I can't download from that site. Can't you just host it on some non-crappy hoster that doesn't force you to turn off AdBlock and NoScript?

Snu

just had to say, i LOVE those file icons, very good job nobuyuki!

Saga Musix

The old icon has now finally been replaced with Nobuyuki's great high-res icon; the 16x16 version has been slightly improved, too.