Advise a simple blog engine

Started by Louigi Verona, June 18, 2009, 13:13:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Louigi Verona

hey guys!

want to start a blog at my website. thought of writing own blog at first, but then decided perhaps it is better to install a simple blog engine that is out there already.

i did try the Wordpress blog at Disc Shelf a bit and it seems fine, but I would like a less popular blog so that people don't care to exploit its security issues. Not having too much unnecessary features is also a good thing.

can anyone advise anything?

bvanoudtshoorn

Well, LV, I use WordPress, and I must say that I've never had troubles with security. There are actually security benefits to using a more popular blog engine, like WP:

- Security problems are located and fixed more quickly, because more people are using the system.
- Any hacking is likely to happen on one of the insanely popular blogs, rather than your own (at least in the case of my rather humble blog).

A good summary of blogging software, though, is here at Wikipedia. :)

Saga Musix

your second statement is utterly wrong. once hacks are being discovered, bots will be sent out to hack all sites possible that use a software. every website is being scanned daily for all kinds of software that could have security leaks (both old and new versions) and all those script kiddies will try hacking everything they can hack.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

bvanoudtshoorn

I'm not sure I agree, Jojo. Most script kiddies are in it for the "glory" -- they want everyone to see their inane and stupid messages. Therefore, they'll focus their attacks on the larger sites. Yes, they may well send bots out to try and get at smaller sites, but the chances of your being hacked are reduced because of the 'pull' of the larger sites.

Remember also that Wordpress in particular is a mature piece of software -- the vast majority of the security problems in WP arise from the use of third party plugins.

Louigi Verona

I will consider using WP if nothing else is found but as I've said in the original topic, I wish to find another, less popular engine (and perhaps, more simple). Security is not the only issue here.

As for the wikipedia page - there is a difference between reading about software and asking people if they can recommend one, which adds an experience of practical use. This is why I've created this topic.

LPChip

My brother uses B2evolution, but I'm not sure if that one is free.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Louigi Verona

It is. I already checked it out - WP actually forked from it. Looks interesting.

You know, I wish it was possible to embed the blog into the site. I want it to be inside my site rather than a link which you follow and end up in another design.

I am actually thinking that writing a simple blog would be more preferable. I just made a list for myself - what I want from the blog - and it doesn't seem like much.

residentgrey

Most can be integrated into other systems, maybe textpattern is more your liking.
No two people are not on fire...AWWW!

Web and Graphic Design just for you!
I r GhostMech on there, forever scouting.

Saga Musix

QuoteI'm not sure I agree, Jojo. Most script kiddies are in it for the "glory"
You've never checked you access logs, have you? There are hundreds and thousands of automated hacks every day for almost every website out there.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.