[discussion] Good Copy Bad Copy

Started by Louigi Verona, June 16, 2009, 06:36:11

Previous topic - Next topic

g

Well I'm not too worried because stupid business models will never work so something good has to come along...

Here's a podcast of stephen fry talking about the history and future of copyright.

Sam_Zen

Got that podcast too, g, and it's very good.

Quote from: "Louigi"But by default the law allows them to take money, even if you did not register with them. Which, I believe, is a very flawed decision. Or perhaps a deliberate one.
It's a deliberate one, and completely based on bluff.

There's no law (I have done lots of research, asking experts,etc.) giving permission to demand this money.
This would be idiotic. The local hockeyclub then could demand contribution from you, while you're not a member.

As many of their methods are based on bluff.
Along most bands/musicians here there's the idea that you have to become a member of the mob,
otherwise it is not allowed to publish your music. This is brainwashed via the media.
Another brainwash : They would protect your copyrights.

Nonsense, And they had to confirm that on their website.
Your copyright is already covered by national law. So you don't need their membership for that.
Their task is just to cash the money and distribute it to the big mediaconcerns, that's all.

Btw : the article The Internet Debacle by Janis Ian.

uncloned

good article by Janis Ian Sam

it brought to mind what my friend Mike said - who performed many years and toured the world in various bands - that most of the music "professionals" he met were just interested in making money off of him - not helping as they tried to make him think.

Louigi Verona

QuoteThere's no law (I have done lots of research, asking experts,etc.) giving permission to demand this money.

Well, in Russia there is. I am not sure if it is in a form of a law or whatever contract type statement, but the society of authors in Russia does this - if you explicitly do not state you don't want them to collect money for you, they will.

Haven't listened to the podcast - will now.

Louigi Verona

QuoteBtw : the article The Internet Debacle by Janis Ian.

Yeah, it is a nice article, but it's problem is that it tries to talk about the problem from the position of money - it basically tries to tell RIAA - don't worry, sales won't really go down.

But I would say this - it doesn't matter if sales do go down. People's freedom to share information is much more important than sales and money.

g

Quote from: "Louigi Verona"
QuoteThere's no law (I have done lots of research, asking experts,etc.) giving permission to demand this money.

Well, in Russia there is. I am not sure if it is in a form of a law or whatever contract type statement, but the society of authors in Russia does this - if you explicitly do not state you don't want them to collect money for you, they will.

In Sweden they (STIM) will collect royalties whether you want it or not. This is presented as an extra service in case you will become a member you can receive royalties retro-actively (I think 3 or 5 years back). I don't think you can even stop them.

Sam_Zen

There are indeed differences in local law, so also in the way these organizations may collect money.

Is there a list of national organizations somewhere ? I would like to collect one.
I know RIAA (USA), BUMA (NL), now STIM (SE).

uncloned

add tax collectors, microsoft, the mafia and yakuza to that list Sam...

Sam_Zen

Louigi Verona

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"There are indeed differences in local law, so also in the way these organizations may collect money.

Is there a list of national organizations somewhere ? I would like to collect one.
I know RIAA (USA), BUMA (NL), now STIM (SE).

RSA - (Russia)
the acronym is actually Russian and the name of the organization translates as the Russian Society of Authors. But I am not sure if this is the official translation.

Exhale

Quote from: "Louigi Verona"RSA - (Russia)
the acronym is actually Russian and the name of the organization translates as the Russian Society of Authors. But I am not sure if this is the official translation.

RSA stands for the Republic of South Africa
I hate acronyms

Saga Musix

RSA stands for quite a lot of things. :P
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

g

Quote from: "Jojo"RSA stands for quite a lot of things. :P

According to acronymfinder, 92 things to be precise.

uncloned

more fuel on the fire

Quote"Buying DRMed content, then having that content stop working later, is fair, writes Steven Metalitz, the lawyer who represents the MPAA, RIAA in a letter to the top legal advisor at the Copyright Office. 'We reject the view that copyright owners and their licensees are required to provide consumers with perpetual access to creative works.' In other words, if it stops working, too bad. Not surprisingly, Metalitz also strongly opposes any exemption that would allow users to legally strip DRM from content if a store goes dark and takes down its authentication servers."

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/07/big-content-ridiculous-to-expect-drmed-music-to-work-forever.ars

maleek

I come to think of how corporate conglomerates "copyright" / patent crops that have been commons in indeginous cultures for hundreds of years.* There is actually huge similarities in how the copyright lobby works and how other buisness sectors profit from the commons and using alturistic excuses for protecting very narrow interests.

(see Intellectual property in this article)
* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetically_modified_food#Growing_GM_crops