[discussion] Good Copy Bad Copy

Started by Louigi Verona, June 16, 2009, 06:36:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Louigi Verona

A documentary about the current state of copyright and culture.

http://www.goodcopybadcopy.net/

The film is available for no price - you can either watch it online or download through torrents. If you like the movie - do donate! At least 5 bucks )

When you did watch, post your opinions here.

What did you think of the movie in general?
Were there any quotations that stuck in your mind as interesting?
How does copyright law and views influence your life?

Louigi Verona

A 1992 copyright propaganda video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyAY06IcH4Y

What I really like is what the lady says at 4:43. It really sums up the problem.

Also, I just love how she casually states that you cannot share a copy of the software with a friend. I wonder if she has any friends. Perhaps not.

Saga Musix

Congratulations, you have found the most ridiculous video on copying floppies that you can find on the web.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Louigi Verona

If you type "copyright propaganda" in YouTube - it's one of the first videos. So I did not search for long.

However, what that woman says is still true today. Moreover, the DMCA made it even harsher. (and dumber, too) And today with a charming smile they tell you that you cannot give a copy of whatever to your friend.

Saga Musix

QuoteIf you type "copyright propaganda" in YouTube - it's one of the first videos. So I did not search for long.
It is very popular, I don't have to search for it. :P
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

Hm. I've decided not to watch.
I want to keep my blood pressure at a normal level.

Saga Musix

But watching that retarded dancer is fun! :D

Sam_Zen

Yep, you're right.
The lady at 4:43 indeed sums it up. One program on only one computer.. Geez..

Yes, the whole copyright thing did came into my life, whether I wanted it or not.
I just became to despise the whole system, because it has degraded to a form of aggresive tax.
So I refused to take part in it. No trying for big contracts of record companies, Just my own label.
With my own rules of publishing. (A bit like Creative Commons)

And I have my doubts about the concept of 'intellectual property'..
And I also have strong doubts about the whole 'royalty' thing.
Just a copy of your work is played on the radio. So what ? You didn't have to make any effort for this..

Saga Musix

Here's the same vid in better quality and subtitles (the best is still "[retarded dancing]"): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2kwkTpzfAI
And yeah, that lady at 4:43 is a bitch (sorry) with what he's saying. I can imagine her telling this to her children all day long, in the same tone, and that she buys nice games thrice, for every child. :lol:

Nice "remix" of the vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2kwkTpzfAI

Another ridiculous attempt - Don't Copy That 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHaAFqoVLtI

Louigi Verona

You know Sam, after being involved into all this copyright business, I've decided not to worry about it. It is all about money. Artists who go for money and who don't feel ashamed taking money for not doing anything - there is nothing we can do about those people.

But since the law takes the same stance and turns morality upside down, I believe raising awareness is important. Because most people in the world are good decent people, they just do not have all the information.

Sam_Zen

The second one by Jojo is not only ridiculous, but quite a mean way to manipulate kids.
So it's not only the RIAA, but also the SIAA. Record companies and big software business.

2 Louigi
Sure it's about money, and I decided not to worry about it.

But then I was invited twice for a national radio program about contemporary electronic music.
Two times an hour long with some talking and they played many pieces of me.
Afterwards I discovered that the broadcaster had to pay royalties to the copyright mob.
While I was not a registered member... (so I never could have recieved a share)

They didn't check this, and just cash the money.
When I realized that I wouldn't be the only case, it made me quite angry.
This is probably about millions a year, money of which they just don't have any right to cash.

Louigi Verona

Yeah, same organization is in Russia. I've checked - to solve the problem you have to come to them and explicitly tell that you do not want them to take money on your behalf. And you have to sign something - then they will stop taking money when your music is played. But by default the law allows them to take money, even if you did not register with them. Which, I believe, is a very flawed decision. Or perhaps a deliberate one.

Louigi Verona

Haha! Watched the alternate ending - good stuff!

Also, keep in mind how casually the original video slips in the idea that it is normal if your computer is not controlled by you and instead shows you something you didn't ask for. It's so proprietary in every sense!

uncloned

it will get worse.... if microsoft has its way with putting every application and even the operating system on the web and charging you by the hour to use it.

I recently saw an article, in the new york times or washington post, on how it is reasonable to charge say $5 a month for a "good" website. Right.... and just how many $5 do they think normal people have a month to spare?

Louigi Verona

It won't get worst. There is no need to worry about it. Cloud computing is something Microsoft is speaking about for a long time, but it is a project that failed before it started. No matter how much hype they create, most people will not buy it.

"Pay for view" idea is self defeating. All they will do is divide the Internet into the official Internet and underground with official Internet being a boring corporate part. Also, I doubt it is possible technically. As time goes, techniques of anonymity only get better. Did you know that now you can use a torrent program and not be detected at all? Even your IP cannot be obtained if you use a special utility. And beating this utility is as easy as finding the one number in a haystack of a billion others.