.53 Tuning Note Name rejection

Started by Harbinger, June 12, 2009, 00:52:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Harbinger

Full Version:
OpenMPT v1.17.02.53

Has the bug occured in previous versions? If yes, please specify version(s): No, i don't think so.

Description of the bug:When using a Geometric ratio, MPT will not allow me to change the labels for each note (in the Note Name field). It works fine under General ratio, but then i would have to input the correct decimal value for the tuning for EACH AND EVERY NOTE.

How often does it happen?:Always, and i tried several different workarounds.

How to reproduce (step by step description): Create new .mptm file. In the Instruments tab, click on the Tunings Menu, and select Control Tunings. In the following dialog box, right-click in the Local heading on the left, and Select Add tuning, which should create a new tuning. Click in the Tuning Type menu, and select Geometric. You can change the tuning numbers if you wish, but if you select a note in the right-hand listbox, then try to change the label in the Note Name text field, it won't take.

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "Harbinger"When using a Geometric ratio, MPT will not allow me to change the labels for each note (in the Note Name field).
With geometric, only note names with index in range [0, groupsize - 1] can be edited with visible consequences; all can be edited but the modifications just won't show for all.

Quote from: "Harbinger"It works fine under General ratio, but then i would have to input the correct decimal value for the tuning for EACH AND EVERY NOTE.
That's not needed. When one edits any ratio in geometric type, it is automatically converted to general type while keeping other values intact -- the type conversion is done even if the ratio didn't actually change (e.g. replace 1 with 1).

Harbinger

Quote from: "Relabsoluness"
That's not needed. When one edits any ratio in geometric type, it is automatically converted to general type while keeping other values intact -- the type conversion is done even if the ratio didn't actually change (e.g. replace 1 with 1).

Are you sure? I tried that (changing to Geometric, putting in the correct ratio, then reverting back to General, and it didn't work).

If it indeed does work, tell us what we should do while in the Tuning Properties dialog, in order to use Geometric ratios AND our own labels (or provide a link if it's already been documented). If it works i'll post my results here and you can close this one.

Thanks, Relab. 8)

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "Harbinger"Are you sure? I tried that (changing to Geometric, putting in the correct ratio, then reverting back to General, and it didn't work).
As said, you have to change any ratio in geometric type after creating it. Simply changing the type by choosing a different one from the types won't work.

Quote from: "Harbinger"what we should do while in the Tuning Properties dialog, in order to use Geometric ratios AND our own labels.
Note labels for notes with index in range [0, groupsize - 1] can be edited and they determine labels for all the rest. The number at the end of the label is automatically added and can't be disabled.

Harbinger

Tried it and it works just like Relab said. The only real glitch is '5' is automatically entered in the Note Name field, after the pitch name, which is not really a bug, but a reminder that you can't change the octave label in Geometric.

Consider this matter closed, and i'll type up a page on how to apply tunings. Thanks Relab for your help! 8)

Saga Musix

I guess this one can be closed then?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.