[style unknown]Spade (IT, MP3) exploring tonalities

Started by apple-joe, June 11, 2009, 20:42:50

Previous topic - Next topic

apple-joe

I've played around with modplug again the recent weeks after a long time with no tracking. I loaded a sample pack from some compo.

After the first few patterns, I reacted on the generally awkward atmosphere, caused by too many sustained sounds played simultaneously, so I tried to gradually reduce this as I continued.

http://rapidshare.com/files/243492018/spade.it.html

http://rapidshare.com/files/243493171/spade.mp3.html

Sam_Zen

It starts with a clear 'eastern' tonality upto 1:03. Then western chord transpositions come/take over.

So it's a double impression. As a spade does. It digs a hole but can fill another one.

uncloned

I enjoyed the eastern section very much up to where Sam noted.

After that it seemed less inspired to me - but that is my personal perspective.

apple-joe

Thanks for the response. I had fun creating the ending also, but the middle section, the most traditionally sounding part, sounds boring as I listen to it now. I could try to spice it up by either adding leads, or even splitting the part in two, and using a different set of chords for half of it.

Saga Musix

Nice tune!

BTW, is that you, CategoryAPL? (Not sure if I'm confusing something here...)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

coda

seems like your style has gotten more adventurous! i think you should split the middle in two or something, yes.

also, please come back to #mod_shrine, you are missed :)

apple-joe

Jojo: Which aspects appear as the best and the worst, respectively?
coda: Yes, but there is for me, somehow, a challenge in not losing the creative inclination when switching from e.g. physical guitar to the tracker application. I've focused on the phrygian dominant as well as the chromatic scale for a while now, and I at least have plans about examining these further in modplug too. Moreover, there are a few extra sketches from the recent weeks, but I haven't decided whether to upload any of the material yet. I'll see if there's anything to do about the middle section of the uploaded one right now.

Sam_Zen

Hi coda, welcome !

2 apple-joe : Before drastic changing of the material, maybe it's a workaround to inverse the order first.
So start with the western chords, then change to the eastern tonality at a certain point.

apple-joe

I altered the chord progression for the middle section yesterday, but that didn't cause significant improvement. There were also some errors (e.g. copy of the melody from the previous - instead of the current - pattern apropos the attempted echo effect) , and I adjusted the volume levels here and there as well as a try to make it less static.

I'm very tired of the track now, but I'll see if your suggestion is worth trying, SamZen.

Sam_Zen

Well, take your time. Maybe a year later, who knows. Progression, improvement, it's quite relative really.

bully34

I'm listening to the IT version -

Nice track. I would say it's an Electro song...idk. :?
Visit my webpage: http://www.ctgmusic.com/bully34

&

Add me to MSN: [email]justin_tep@live.co[/email],

apple-joe

I ended up editing it quite a bit after the upload. Many volume adjustments in order to render the track less excessive, some note choice changes here and there plus a more thorough remake of the middle section, which was based on a set of chords I struggled working with. Now this part sounds a little less awkward, but still not particularly interesting (traditional chord progression + (attemptedly) less predictable melody).

It's about a month since the alteration, and I might listen to it a few times to see if it's worth uploading, but I have no illusions.

Zaphoid

If you wanna learn good tasteful ways of switching back and forth between ethnic styles and traditional European Styles you should listen to some of Yanni's Live albums.  I kid you not he is the master of it.  That is if you can ever get past the 80's hair :P

Zaphoid

I loved the first part but I agree with clones that it becomes a little tired after that with the kinda.... well dinky melodic line at the end.  Just my opinion.