Timers

Started by Sam_Zen, June 04, 2009, 01:10:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

It has been touched before I suppose, so I bump in about the time indicator at the right of the status bar.

It starts running as soon as playback starts. So far so good. Indicating the time position in the song.

But then, if I make a jump in the patternrow during playback, back or forth, counting just continues..
After such, this function becomes almost useless. Relative time position is gone.

As a sub-item : when playing back, it's convenient to see the total song time next to the playing time.
Now, one has to start the calculation about the Estimate Song Length.

Why not calculating this anyway after opening a file, and display the value aside of the time indicator all the way ?

Saga Musix

This is a very tricky request, which can only be solved to a certain degree. For example, if your module has subtunes which normally never get played, it is (currently) impossible to calculate the current position in seconds. However, this might be possible for skipping around in the main tune. I'll look into it.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Harbinger

Not only that, but the timer also turns on when you play a note on a VSTi and continues to run even as you're working in the pattern.

I'd also like to add to Sam_Zen's request, if i may, that after MPT plays a whole song, the time it took still shows, instead of reverting back to 0:00 after the song ends. :wink:

Sam_Zen

I'm aware of the trickyness of such a request. Many unsuspected variables involved.

It could anyway be easier, if not the song length, but the pattern length would be calculated.
Of course inside speed settings could change, but most of the patterns have a continuous clock-time.
So it will always stay an estimation. But even raw will help.

I was lately using OMPT just to playback some tracks from other authors, so no editing involved.
And it is then convenient to see the total song time next to the actual moment, as a reference for comment.

Saga Musix

I see you guys are only thinking of "convenient" mods, but f.e. a pattern length estimation is totally worthless with mods that jump around in a pattern (e.g. playing it backwards).
Setting the timer when you jump to a position that is in the first subtune works now btw, I don't know if I can do more about that.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

I understand. Not only jumps in the patternrow are at stake, but also inside a single pattern.
Not only changing speed codes are possible, but also position jumps inside the pattern.

So what's left in this request anyway is the showing of the estimated song length on the right of the status bar.

g

Just make clear it's an estimation. I don't think those inclined to tracking backwards would mind, knowing the exact time for a row is mainly nice for those who need to sync with something. Perhaps the display or function of the timer could be configurable?

Harbinger

Forgive me, but i'm not sure i understand the difficulty. (I may be thinking of another issue entirely.)

Can't the timer just start when the song starts, and stop when it ends, no matter where it jumps to? I think i'm missing a vital piece of information. :?

Saga Musix

That's what it does now. Have you ever used the pattern sequence, i.e. jumped to a different patternt while the track was playing?

Sam_Zen

Jojo's point. Illustration :
1 - Open a module file. push Play button. Timer starts running.
2 - At 0:00:12 press the Pause button. The timecounter stops properly, as it should.
3 - Now jump 5 patterns ahead in the patternrow, and press Play again. The counter will continue from the pause-position. So 0:00:13 ..
4 - This makes the time-indicator almost useless in the process. No relevance whatsoever. When was this detuned note ?

This is about continuing playing from a certain position, and calculating that moment considering the total time.
OMPT has two buttons for playing. One from the start, and one from the cursor position.
These two commands carry different variables, which are maybe of use in the timer-calculation.

Harbinger

Like i said, i WAS missing a vital piece of info -- "MANUAL" pattern jumping. :P  Now it all makes sense!

Yes, that would be helpful. It would help to know where in the song we're editing (time-wise). But i must say that's relatively minor, at least for me. 8)

Saga Musix

Ok, feature implemented in the new test version. If anything is going wrong, please tell us to re-open this request.

Don't forget to check the "position aware timer" option in the setup dialog.