Sample Drawing

Started by Saga Musix, January 13, 2009, 22:05:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

Many people who never post here request this, so I'll just put it in here: It would be nice to have the ability to draw samples by hand. I guess this is not impossible, but I'm not sure if it can be done in any zoom mode except 1:1, maybe even 2:1. For this feature, something like a "add x bytes to the current sample" thing would be nice to have, I guess.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "Jojo"It would be nice to have the ability to draw samples by hand.
Agree.

Quote from: "Jojo"I'm not sure if it can be done in any zoom mode except 1:1
I don't think that's a problem.

Rakib

How advanced are we talking about?
If we can copy parts of the sample and insert it in a special place in a another it would great.
^^

LPChip

For a start, I'd like to see the ability to create a new sample and specify its length.

The next step would be to draw in it using the mouse, set some loop points and basta, your new chipsample X)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

instead of asking every time how long the sample should be, i would propose a dialog "add x bytes to the sample" as mentioned before, or another shift+click functionality for the "new sample" button, just like with instruments - just that this button wouldn't copy the sample, but ask for the desired sample length.

and the sample drawing won't be anything fancy for now, i suggest some freehand drawing + basic waveform presets (sine, saw, square, etc...)

EDIT: Creating a new sample without the ability to draw something would be quite useless in MPT, since you can't do much with silence in the sample editor. ;P
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Relabsoluness

I would like to bring up a choice of simply having "resize sample"-button/menu item (e.g. in sample view right click menu) with which one could set the sample length.

Saga Musix

very good idea. that would also make cutting down samples a lot more precise and less hassle.

älskling

While we're at it... I wouldn't mind being able to automatically create a sine of x periods that's in tune and looped, a good start for freehand drawing. Entering formulas would be nice too... (y=...)

Harbinger

Quote from: "Relabsoluness"I would like to bring up a choice of simply having "resize sample"-button/menu item (e.g. in sample view right click menu) with which one could set the sample length.

Wait a minute! Aren't you our main dev, Relab?  :P  That's like Jesus asking God for favors? (They're one and the same! :lol: )

Sam_Zen

Support +
Drawing a sample, one way or another, would be quite nice.
I remember a thread about "how to make a sample without external apps" or something like that, but can't seem to find it anymore.

LPChip

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"Support +
Drawing a sample, one way or another, would be quite nice.
I remember a thread about "how to make a sample without external apps" or something like that, but can't seem to find it anymore.

You mean this topic? http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=786.0
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Quote from: "Harbinger"
Quote from: "Relabsoluness"I would like to bring up a choice of simply having "resize sample"-button/menu item (e.g. in sample view right click menu) with which one could set the sample length.

Wait a minute! Aren't you our main dev, Relab?  :P  That's like Jesus asking God for favors? (They're one and the same! :lol: )

I am posting bug reports and feature requests on the board myself as well, just so they don't get lost and other people can also discuss about it.

Sam_Zen

Saga Musix

Ok, feature implemented in the new test version. I can confirm that it works the way I want! \o/