Bought an EMU 0404... what do I do with it now?

Started by Louigi Verona, May 25, 2009, 18:54:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Louigi Verona

My problem is that I have devices which I need to route INTO the computer in STEREO. But I cannot do it!

My internal soundcard has only MIC IN, which is a mono in. My older notebook does have a normal stereo line in, so theoretically I can use that, but I hoped a pro soundcard would solve that.

It did not. EMU fucking 0404 has no stereo input. Can you believe it? Not a single one! It has two MIC mono inputs and no stereo ones! So my Roland MC-303 is once again stranded on its own, my dream to digitize several of my old tapes is still just a dream.

Yeah, I forgot - it does have S/PDIF. Pity I have no devices to use that.

Now, I am not at all disappointed with the card in general - it is very nice to have it. But it is a pity that I am left with a problem that I thought ANY pro soundcard would solve.

LPChip

This is really weird!

I have 3 line-in/mic-in on my creative card, and if I enable amplification, it becomes a mic amp, and goes mono. If I remove the amplification, its changing to a line-in, and goes stereo. Are you perhaps experiencing the same thing?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

QuoteDoes most mixing software include them?
At least most audio players do. Not sure about recording / editing programs, but it's likely.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

g

Quote from: "Louigi Verona"It did not. EMU fucking 0404 has no stereo input.

Are the Hi-Z/Line inputs mono as well? If they are, you could always split the stereo signal into two mono and pan them hard left and hard right.

Saga Musix

Louigi Verona: I'm pretty sure it's using mono plugs like my soundcard does. which is, in fact, better than using stereo plugs. just try an Y-cable.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Louigi Verona

Quote from: "LPChip"This is really weird!

I have 3 line-in/mic-in on my creative card, and if I enable amplification, it becomes a mic amp, and goes mono. If I remove the amplification, its changing to a line-in, and goes stereo. Are you perhaps experiencing the same thing?

Perhaps! I really need to try. What kind of amplification are you removing for it to become stereo? You see, I have a Realtek HD (blah) as my internal soundcard and its interface panel is sooooo confusing!

Louigi Verona

Quote from: "g"

Are the Hi-Z/Line inputs mono as well? If they are, you could always split the stereo signal into two mono and pan them hard left and hard right.

Yeah, the mic inputs are mono, I've checked. I did try splitting stereo into two signals and channel each into one mic input, but it didn't work - it then started to give noise instead or maybe it was just a mono signal, I don't remember. I do remember it hasn't worked.

LPChip

Quote from: "Louigi Verona"
Quote from: "LPChip"This is really weird!

Perhaps! I really need to try. What kind of amplification are you removing for it to become stereo? You see, I have a Realtek HD (blah) as my internal soundcard and its interface panel is sooooo confusing!

I have knobs next to my line-in ports. I turn those down.

EDIT: from the manual: http://www.emu.com/support/files/storage/0404-USB-EN.pdf

9. Input Level Gain Controls
The preamp level controls set the input gain from 0dB
to +65dB. The wide mark indicates the 0dB/unity
setting when using unbalanced input cables. The 0dB
mark indicates unity gain when using balanced input
cables.

Seems to be doing it like it goes on my setup. The knobs are the 2 on the bottom left for Mic/Line/Hi-Z with the meters. Turning them down, should also get to a point (atleast it does on my end) where it clicks, indicating that you're on the 0 DB entry. So I turn it down, and then need to apply a little preassure to get it to 0 db. (all the way down to the left)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Louigi Verona

So when it clicks the input should "become" stereo line in?

Louigi Verona

Dunno what was I thinking, but the problem was solved (very) easily - I used a Y cable with a stereo mini jack on one end and two mono jacks on the other and plugged them into the two mic ins and got stereo sound... yay!

LPChip

Quote from: "Louigi Verona"So when it clicks the input should "become" stereo line in?

Yes, thats exactly what I say. :)

Your other solution works too, but this is easier. :)

Louigi Verona

No, when I tried using stereo-stereo cable, the mic in even when I did what you suggested still delivered only a mono signal. Those two mic inputs are clearly only mono - I checked this many times.

uncloned

record two mics at the same time into 2 channels

Louigi Verona

Yep, that's exactly what I did - read two posts above )

uncloned

oh - ok

but it is weird you have to do it that way