[dance sort of?] sclicy basses (mp3)

Started by uncloned, May 23, 2009, 04:10:01

Previous topic - Next topic

uncloned

http://clones.soonlabel.com/mp3/slicy-basses.mp3

two improvised bass lines and Norm Harris' percussion in a 4/4 vs 5/4 format.

Sam_Zen

Nice playing.. But I see this as a good built up structure, not as a composition.
Things should be added in the final production.

uncloned

bvanoudtshoorn

I actually kinda like this -- I don't necessarily agree with S_Z that it's not a composition in its own right. I think it's definitely an improvisation, and, taken as an improvisation, I think it works.

Nice work, Clones.

Sam_Zen

Yep, BvO is right, my bad. Of course a structure can be a composition as well. Even a sample can be.
Or an improvisation. There's a Dutch variant on Free Jazz which is called "instant composing".
Suggestions ? Dunno, some lead on top in the second half, sounding like LP's gizmo.

uncloned

If LP wants to take a shot I'm all for it!

Nahkranoth

I think it don't need any gizmos, the whole composition craves for plain good old guitar solo or guitar screams here and there, to rip apart that thick bass veil :wink:

uncloned

You are welcome to give it a shot if you'd like.

Nahkranoth

I will try but no promises. I'm done with promises here on MODPlug :D

Harbinger

Notes as i'm listening:

While i agree this could be used underneath some other song structures as Sam suggested, i think it does well on its own. Hell, i've written short stories that were only two paragraphs long, and as long as the theme has some "meat" it can provide the ears with sustenance, at least until the next song! :P

uncloned

Thanks for the listen and comments Harbinger.

FWIW I was going for novelty with having only bass guitar as the melodic instruments.