Hello from an oldschool OctaMED user with a few questions

Started by Munin, May 20, 2009, 18:39:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Munin

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and Mod Tracker itself. I looked for a general introduction thread but there doesn't seem to be one so I hope you guys don't mind me posting here.  :oops:

I guess I'm an oldschool OctaMED/Amiga user, as I used to spend many hours with the program back in the day, but for some reason I only decided to google the topic this afternoon and was very surprised to read that "trackers" are still used and dedicated communities exist. I can't tell you how much I had butterflies in my stomach as I became very excited and nostalgic at the same time. I proceeded to downloaded Mod Tracker and have spent a good few hours messing around in an environment that seems at once archaic, familiar and just plain fun.  :wink:

I was delighted to see that the program caters for oldschool MED files and the thought of actually being able to listen to all my old tunes again sent more butterflies/shivers of excitement through my body. It seems I'm so close and yet so far to finally making contact with the memories contained in a huge box of Amiga music discs I have, so I would really appreciate any input you guys have on the best and easiest way to gain access and have copies of those files on my PC.

It's been a very long time since I owned an Amiga but I would assume one would be necessary for transfer (reading floppy discs etc...)? If so, what sort of rig or special cables would I need to hook everything up?

In the mean time, I certainly see a lot of fun to be had with this new (to me) tracker program.  :D

Regards,

Munin

Sam_Zen

Welcome Munin !
The OctaMED files.. another vintage format.

If it's just for playing back, I'll advice the app once made by the author of ModPlug tracker Olivier Lapique : ModPlug Player

One can find the compatible tracker formats of it here

LPChip

Hi Munin :)

I believe you can also load these songs into OpenMPT, as you probably have done already. Saving is not possible unless you convert it to another format, like .mod, .s3m, .xm or .it.

The good thing about this is that you can use this way to access your old samples.

But if you really want to play with this, try diving into the world of VSTi's. :)

VSTi's are sound generating plugins that you can download for free at www.kvraudio.com. You just turn a bunch of knobs and get a nice sound that will be of the highest quality you can imagine. Ofcource, if turning knobs at first is really hard, you can choose one of the presets that came with the plugin too.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "Munin"I was delighted to see that the program caters for oldschool MED files and the thought of actually being able to listen to all my old tunes again...
If the tunes doesn't sound right, it can be a bug in the program: there's at least one open bug report regarding MED import.

Munin

Thanks for your help, guys. I'm going to try ADFread as soon as I've rumbled up another floppy drive, but in the mean time I'm enjoying creating new tunes.

Thanks again.  :)

maleek

I just wanted to join in the welcoming. Modplug is one of several modern trackers, but I obviously favor Modplug. :)

Best of wishes from Sweden.

Sam_Zen

Saga Musix

It's a tool to create ADF files (images) from original Amiga discs, AFAIK.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

Sounds logical. Getting the data off a disk which is formatted different.