Almost useless software

Started by Louigi Verona, May 19, 2009, 17:20:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Louigi Verona

Yeah, we ARE in this thread.

Louigi Verona

uncloned

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"Useless things. Great. Isn't art useless ? This reminds of this thread :
http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=3102.0

but art gives my computer something to do.

Louigi Verona

Art is useless if by use one means material practice. When you are listening to music you are not doing anything "practically" useful. For a person who sees that spiritual life is as real (and perhaps even more important) than material aspect art is certainly much more useful than, say, a car or even food.

These useless apps are very useful in a certain sense.

So is this topic:
http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=3102.0

Rakib

How come your apps take so much space?
^^

uncloned

because they run on windows....

Louigi Verona

No, because I write them in wxWidgets. The code is cross-platform and so the binary has all the libraries in it which makes it ridiculously large. I promise soon I will learn how to strip the executable from all the unnecessary junk, but atm let me release this. In zip each app takes around 1 Mb - could be less than 100kb, but hey - give a crappy programmer a break )

Louigi Verona

Sam_Zen

Wots much space ? Indeed cross-platform makes it spacy. The 7-zip format scores better by the way. 10-8.

I like the calculators. A difference with the previous nouseapps : they're in the taskbar.
Otherwise, if declared on top, I could have used "Cigar" as a button for a list of smoking brands.
I prefer the PhilCalc, because it's not only useless, but also wrong. 42 no matter what.
The DixCalc brings 10 no matter what, but the input renders a correct order by options.
So this was quite useful to train my observation skills..

Quoteart is certainly much more useful than, say, a car or even food.
I don't like to make difference in material or spiritual needs. It's a matter of hunger I think.

Louigi Verona

Yeah, well cigar is a very specific thing - do you know what it is? It is a system menu type of window (which does not go to the task bar) minimized. Think of it as an app minimized in mid air. And once it's minimized you cannot do anything with it, not even move it. You can only double click it to maximize. That's when I close it )))

Louigi Verona

Okay, some new stuff.

Storywriter
With this baby you can create your own stories (wow!). Where's the catch? Well, you cannot use just any words you like. The only words you can use are the ones which you can choose from the drop down lists. You have nouns, verbs and "various". Too much limitation? Limitation brings creativity!

http://www.cathyportal.ru/files/Storywriter.zip

And for the hardcore guys, StorywriterLite:
http://www.cathyportal.ru/files/StorywriterLite.zip

Saga Musix

Do you guys even know what "cross-plattform" means? A cross-plattform library does not have to be large (just have a look at BASS, which has 90kb on Windows and ~200kb on Linux / Mac). The code for Windows / Linux / Macintosh / BSD / Handhelds / steam machines / whatever is never included in the binaries for other platforms. If you have the Windows version of wxWidgets, it only contains the code to create widgets for the Windows platform and it will not run on any other Platform, simple because there is no binary compatibility or a hidden part with Linux / etc. binaries inside your Windows DLLs. wxWidgets being big has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that it is a cross-platform library.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Saga Musix

So what does that page tell us?
QuoteLarge binaries are produced because of static linkage with libstdc++ (which is said to be bulky) and wxWidgets, as well as emitting code for multiple platforms. Dynamic linkage to wxWidgets can be done if desired [...]

Basically, this tool is so big because it links libstdc++ and wxWidgets statically, meaning that two very big libraries are stored in the executable. Nothing is said about wxWidgets here.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Louigi Verona

Quoteas well as emitting code for multiple platforms