[whatever fits here] The Model of a Spherical Horse... (mp3)

Started by Nahkranoth, May 18, 2009, 09:12:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

Sorry mate, I was a bit lazy lately.
But, talking about my health, I could use as an excuse having had a brainstroke in december, diminishing the use of my left arm.
So PC-typing consumes more time with one hand. And putting on headphones with one hand also.. :)

Anyway (the basic download) :
Well, Nahkranoth, this track is quite gentle in sounduse, comparing to your other ones.

Nahkranoth

O_o, sorry to hear that, Sam, but things could have been much worse :?
Quotethis track is quite gentle in sounduse, comparing to your other ones
What do you mean by that? There are some not so gentle sounds in the second half. And there are more instruments that I've ever used, so I can't really understand your sentence :oops:

Sam_Zen

As a matter of fact, things could have been worse. I could have been ending permanently in a wheelchair.
As seen around me in the recovery center I'm still living. But I expect to return home in a couple of weeks.

Quoteso I can't really understand your sentence
Listened again. I was totally mistaken here. I was remembering your tracks as having lots of guitar-distortions.
Not the case at all. Just heard Verhovyna again..

Nahkranoth

QuoteI was remembering your tracks as having lots of guitar-distortions.
Not the case at all.
It's quite different from my other tracks, but there is one guitarlike distorted sound. I tried to resist, honestly :D
What's with that old Verhovyna crap?  :) Sorry if I'm forcing you to write.

TheEagle

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"
But, talking about my health, I could use as an excuse having had a brainstroke in december, diminishing the use of my left arm.
So PC-typing consumes more time with one hand. And putting on headphones with one hand also.. :)
OMG  :shock:  I'm very sorry to hear that and I hope that you'll recover soon...

Greets & best wishes

The Eagle

Sam_Zen

Thanks. Ok, back to topic.

2 Nahkranoth : Verhovyna is not crappy. It has a nice, I would say Ukranian, tonality, but is way too unfinished.
This piece, well, third time listen - I like the speed changes, wobbly bass is very good, and I especially fancy the 'wow' sound at 3:03, coming from very low..

But I still can't get a grip on the piece as a whole. So I will play it more.

Nahkranoth

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"Verhovyna is not crappy. It has a nice, I would say Ukranian, tonality, but is way too unfinished.
Not "way", but "waaaaaay" :D I just tried to mimic the tune, how it was played by one native band. If I'll ever try to finish it I need to think of something else than copying the whole thing :(
QuoteThis piece, well, third time listen - I like the speed changes, wobbly bass is very good, and I especially fancy the 'wow' sound at 3:03, coming from very low..
The "wobbliness" was achieved by turning cutoff on the ripping bass from the first part. There's a short version of "wow", which sounds like "woof". It's the same preset, but notes are played shortly.
I can share the presets, if you want :D
QuoteBut I still can't get a grip on the piece as a whole. So I will play it more.
That's why: First part was made half a year ago and was almost a complete piece. Then I turned the knobs until something interesting comes out, and thought hard how to stuff all the sounds together. So the whole track is "pulled out of one's ass", so to say :D
Jeez, I can babble about my lousy tunes all day long! :lol:

Sam_Zen

"Woof" indeed is a better one..

A distinctive time between the first half and the second. This helps understanding the piece.

low_tech_eclectic

Neat song!  Not what I usually listen to, but still interesting.

Thanks for mentioning the pink VSTi, I've been playing with it and it's pretty cool (for a newbie like me the clear labeling is very helpful).  But I've been trying to get the TAL-Vocoder working and I can't seem to figure it out.  I know how to set it up in a program like FruityLoops, but how do you do it in Modplug?

Nahkranoth

Quote from: "low_tech_eclectic"Neat song!  Not what I usually listen to, but still interesting.
Thanks! It's not what I usually do too :D

Quote from: "low_tech_eclectic"Thanks for mentioning the pink VSTi, I've been playing with it and it's pretty cool (for a newbie like me the clear labeling is very helpful).  But I've been trying to get the TAL-Vocoder working and I can't seem to figure it out.  I know how to set it up in a program like FruityLoops, but how do you do it in Modplug?
You need to create 2 instruments for this, first playing speech, second is vocoder. And:
1. Put some speech playing VSTi in FX slot 1 (in my case it were phrases glued into soundfont and loaded in SFZ)
2. Put Vocoder in FX slot 2
3. Set output of FX1 to FX2 (in General tab->Mix settings)
Play some notes to get the speech playing (instrument using FX1 slot), and send some chords to the vocoder (instrument using FX2 slot).
I hope it's clear enough, should be quite easy.

P.S. Luckily TAL-Vocoder accepts stereo input and has it's own carrier, there are some vocoders where you need to pan carrier/modulator left/right and that would be a PITA to do in OMPT.

low_tech_eclectic

Phew!  Well I just learned how to make soundfonts and how to use the vocoder, so thanks for that.  I was using Modplug for years before I even knew about VST, but now that I do it's really changing how I think about songwriting.

Nahkranoth

Glad to be of help! It's the first time my track happened to be useful :-)

psishock

oh, pleasant and raw sounding Nahkranoth, pretty good and inspiring stuff. Love the bass and the drum, great job. ;)
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Nahkranoth

Quote from: "psishock"oh, pleasant and raw sounding Nahkranoth, pretty good and inspiring stuff.
Thank ye, psi! Glad that you liked it :oops:
Quote from: "psishock"Love the bass and the drum, great job. ;)
Those were the most time-consuming parts, the crappy sounding snares still bore me to death tho :D