Making OpenMPT portable

Started by LPChip, May 14, 2009, 10:22:59

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

I've created a small batchfile to make your OpenMPT fully portable.

You can find the instructions/file here: http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?msg=24746.0#msg24746

This topic is made to discuss. :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

Before checking this out, I already fancy the idea of OMPT being portable..

Louigi Verona

Isn't it portable already?

LPChip

It isn't, considered that the mptrack.ini has absolute paths and starts to whine if those paths are incorrect X)

Other than that, yeah, its pretty portable already.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

psishock

If i remember correctly i've copied if to few of my friends, and they haven't got trouble. I thought too, that is already portable.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

LPChip

The abolute paths I'm talking about are the following:

Location to the keyboardconfig.mkb file, all the paths to the VST's and VSTi's and the locations of your songs, samples and instruments.

EDIT: I've added about the same amount of text to that post about portability to add functionality and some explainatory.

uncloned

this is a good idea LP.

might be worth investing in a USB stick just for OMPT and accessory programs.

does anyone know if Audacity is portable?

audacity, vst, vsti and open mpt woudl make a complete package.

Of note for this topic - I had installed a reader for ext2 formatted drives in windows - this had the option to name the drive. As a result my 16 gig usb drive now is G: no matter which computer I access it with now.  So whatever is happening here could help with this portability process.

Saga Musix

» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.