[Album] Sonic Epiphany (archive)

Started by Harbinger, May 10, 2009, 18:19:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Harbinger

Thanks for all your responses. We have both learned who to trust with a simple request for confidance, and who to avoid.

Yes, Sam_Zen. I'm fed up with all this too. So is Yjana. She has learned alot about the people here, especially those that feel sorry for what has happened in this thread, and those who feel indignant. Our respect for our colleagues in this forum has changed drastically.

uncloned

Harbinger may I suggest that the next time you wish to do this you may find sending a link and password to an encrypted zip file via private message with with a request to keep the release secret a better route?

goodness that is a horrible run on sentence. sorry

Louigi Verona

I do not think my statements were aggressive. They were firm. I am used to expressing my opinion firmly and clearly. If you get offended at every word which is not wrapped with "please" and "sorry" then there is nothing I can do.

Your opinion of me does not interest me at all and it will not stop me from opposing licenses which dictate what I can share with my friends or not. I will oppose them non-aggressively but very firmly. Be ready for that.

Perhaps it is indeed best if your releases are limited to PMs to your "trusted" friends.

Sam_Zen

Quotegoodness that is a horrible run on sentence.
Quite so, Clones :)
QuoteJudging the content by the file extension is a thing that's mostly spread in the windows world, however, linux systems for example rather examine the first few bytes of each file and determine what kind of file it is
Thanks Jojo, I didn't know that.

2 Harbinger : This was to me more a philosophical debate.
So I was not planning to break any license an author likes to add, as a kind of protest.
In fact, I'm living quite on my own, so it's hard to find 8 friends anyway..

Louigi Verona

QuoteSo I was not planning to break any license an author likes to add, as a kind of protest.

Sam: I was not too. I said that these terms do not fit me so I will not download the album. This is my act of protest. I am not protesting by breaking an agreement - I do not believe this is a good way to go.

Sam_Zen

Well, here you go. This is all about trust. Although you had your objections about this concept,
I was sure you wouldn't break the conditions.

Louigi Verona

I am explaining all this in so much detail only for one reason - so that people see what it is all about. And it is so easy to misunderstand everything by just taking one phrase out of context and misinterpreting it.

I am protesting by not downloading the music because it's conditions do not fit me. This is a respectful way - I do not cut off myself from the society and from my friends and at the same time I respect the license. I actually regard it seriously - otherwise I could've just ignored it and not even talked about it.

There is another possibility - that Harbinger simply thought that by not allowing people to share the files all he did was control his music. It would be true if it was a material object. But files are not and they are too easy to share. Not allowing to share them is much more than restricting use of music - it is restricting people's rights to share. Think about this - the line is delicate and might not be recognizable at first but it is there.

But once you saw that difference, there is no good reason to keep the license as it is. The clause that restricts sharing should be removed.

Sam_Zen

I agree with LV, this is handling quite delicate things. So it shouldn't be dealed with too unprepared..