Multiple sequences within one song file

Started by Skaven, May 05, 2009, 04:30:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Legovitch

Quote from: "Jojo"sounds like an interesting idea, but also like a lot of work.
Especially the matrix. :oops:
Quote from: "Jojo"Note that you can simply use Home+Shift-End to do that in the meantime.
Noted, thanks.

Really Weird Person

Quote from: "Jojo"The next version will also be able to merge all sequences into one sequence when converting to .IT or other formats. That will also take care of Bxx comamnds.

I would assume that only happens if the sequences total 240 patterns or less (as that is all that is allowed in IT format). As for position jumps, having to use them can be quite cumbersome if the song needs to be more than 256 patterns long (as the X-parameter effect does not affect the position jump that I am aware of).

Quote from: "Paul Legovitch"You can see the whole song

That is assuming that your username on Modplug Central is not Really Weird Person. Wow, his songs are long! Have you ever seen any of them? I have and, wow, one of them even ended up being 64,974 patterns long! He tries to steer clear of songs that end up being 1 GB or more in size, and so far, he has done a good job. As for making them short, hmmm, that is a completely different story. The songs sound nice, but can occasionally last for days (literally) before repeating.

Quote from: "Paul Legovitch"I'd like Ctrl+A to select all orders, if possible.

Hi, Paul, as well as what Jojo mentioned, you can also change the actual shortcut in the keyboard tab in the setup dialog (accessed by pressing Control-F1*). That is what I did. Control-5 is kind of odd for such a function. Control-A is what Windows uses (as well as most programs for it). Wow, when I submit the post, the screen reads that x (where x represents the quoted user) "wrote:" followed by the post. I guess that I am not the only user that uses a tablet PC. :lol:

* Note to Paul:  Depending on your computer's configuration and if you have Narrator open, you may or may not hear this keystroke.

Paul Legovitch

For the sake of keeping things organized, let me quote here a suggestion related to sequences and possible issues discussed in the general forum :
QuoteIssues :
No indication of the current sequence number :
-> in the pattern panel, select the sequence number next to the sequence name (see mockup).

Risk to alter a pattern used in several sequences without knowing it :
-> in the pattern order, add an asterisk * for these patterns.
-> in the pattern order right-click menu, add the possibility to Replace by Copy for these patterns (equivalent to : Duplicate Pattern + delete original).

Mockup :

Sequence 0 : patterns #0 to #4 are marked as "used in another sequence".

Saga Musix

a sequence switcher has been added for now, and yeah, and indication of already used patterns would sure be useful, but it won't be done for now.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Saga Musix

Many improvements have been done to sequence handling in the latest version; Please confirm that this has been added as wished in OpenMPT 1.18 release candidate. You can set the thread status to S=C yourself then. Any additional feature requests concerning sequences should be re-posted in a different thread, to keep things tidy.

Some of the biggest improvements in short:
- Full sequence handling in treeview.
- Quick sequence switcher in pattern editor.
- Enhanced sequence conversion features when converting from/to MPTM and in cleanup dialog.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Saga Musix

Anything to add here? If not, you may set the thread status to closed then. :)

Skaven

Well, I tried drag-dropping patterns from the horizontal sequence to one of the tree view sequences to move them, but I can live without that. Copy-pasting multi-selected patterns works pah-fectly. :)

Saga Musix

Right, dragging *to* the treeview does not work yet. I'll see if this can be easily done...

Skaven

Oh, found a little bug. If there is a Stop ("---") inside one of the multi sequences, and you convert the song back to an .it, those stops appear as "???"s in the merged sequence. I was hoping to be able to rearrange the multiple sequences... but ended up adding more sub-sequences inside a sequence, causing this oddity.  :oops:  

How difficult would re-arranging the multiple sequences be to implement?  :)  (yeah, give them a little something, and they end up asking for moar MOAR!!11)

Saga Musix

Hmm - does this really still happen with OpenMPT 1.18.02.00? I did a quick test with several sequences containing a "---" pattern, and they were all converted properly...

Skaven

Ah yes, sorry. Hadn't updated in a while. Works now. :)