[ambient] a door into spring (link to mp3)

Started by uncloned, April 26, 2009, 16:15:14

Previous topic - Next topic

uncloned

David Seidel composed an excellent ambient piece from the recording of a dishwasher spring noise.

http://mysterybear.net/article/35/a-door-into-spring

I hope you enjoy.

Composer notes:

Hello,

A rhapsody in distressed metal; a seven-second sample time-stretched,
pitch-shifted and layered into an ambient canon. Hope you enjoy it. As
always, comments are welcome.

Not conventionally microtonal, but full of harmonics, and the pitch
shifting is all based on just intervals, making a "chord" on 1/1, 4/3,
3/2, 7/4, and 2/1.

- Dave

Sam_Zen

Very nice, the option of the FLAC format. Fortunately this has come up lately as publishing mode.
Seeing the increase in space and speed, there will come a moment when compression is no longer needed for the traffic.
Lossy compression that is.

This piece is to me a strong reminder of the 'spring' part of Seasonings by Wendy Carlos.

DaveSeidel

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"Very nice, the option of the FLAC format. Fortunately this has come up lately as publishing mode.
Seeing the increase in space and speed, there will come a moment when compression is no longer needed for the traffic.
Lossy compression that is.

This piece is to me a strong reminder of the 'spring' part of Seasonings by Wendy Carlos.

Thanks, I'm glad you like it.  I used to make OGGs as well, but they were rarely downloaded. I especially like FLAC these days because it's supported by RockBox, so now I mainly put FLACs on my so-called MP3 player.

Sam_Zen

Welcome, David !

I like it indeed. So with 'strong' I mean 'very pleasant'.

I publish my pieces on this forum already for a long time in the OGG format, and almost no trouble with the downloads.
At the start a bit, but that's a matter of some links info, and being consistent.

What's RockBox ?

DaveSeidel

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"What's RockBox ?

Open source firmware replacement for a number of different MP3 players (Apple, Sansa, etc.).  Supports OGG and many other formats as well.

http://www.rockbox.org