[tech-trance] Signal Chain - Titanium (.mp3)

Started by psishock, April 25, 2009, 00:06:19

Previous topic - Next topic

psishock

hmmm, now that i've thinking about, i haven't made any post for centuries now, lemme make it a double then.

Signal Chain - Titanium

Some very complex waveforms with lot of harmonics, equals techy sounding. A nice example to "our skeptics" who just can't believe that trackers are capable to be used for pre, post and regular composing together.
Every sound is produced from null with FM8 VSTi (except the art vista grand piano), rest is made on tracker. This is a "first final mix", may work a bit on EQ, add more stuff, im not even sure myself yet, but it sound nice already anyway. Enjoy. :gjob:
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Sam_Zen

hmm. I think you posted another version of this before in january.. :)
I will compare.

psishock

Oh that, it's was just a short WIP slice (it's mentioned on that post), you didn't missed anything at all, i'm keeping all the good stuff in the final mix :D. This is a complete, polished version. But don't make me stop you on comparing. :)

TheEagle

Sounds really interesting, even if it is not my kind of music. Good work, psishock...

uncloned

not my type of music either - but I've been looping it for some 15 minutes.

nice work Psi  :D

Is there  voice sample buried in there at one point?

psishock

to TheEagle: why thank you. :D

to Uncloned: good to hear, that it's appealing for the different genre lovers too. :)

QuoteIs there voice sample buried in there at one point?
Nope, no samples, as i've said only FM8, i would certainly not lie about this.
A lot of stuff is happening on most parts of the song, if you could pinpoint the exact seconds, i could easily tell you what is going on there, that may give the impression of a voice sample.

A pad-like sound with harmonics and buried vocals would sound more heavenly:
psi's_pad_sample.mp3

Rakib

With tracker you mean renoise?

But as usual vey nice made. It sounds like its build with lots of intruments and very advanced.
^^

psishock

Hey Rakib,

Quote from: "Rakib"With tracker you mean renoise?
Why yes, but i didn't wanted to pull it out, because the same stuff could be done with OMPT also (example Royal and some of my other earlier tunes are made with OMPT, tho' im porting the yet unfinished pieces to the new host). I went to Renoise because it saves me a really lot of time when composing. The GUI and the additional features are made to make the work easy, fast and efficient as possible at the moment.

Quote from: "Rakib"It sounds like its build with lots of intruments and very advanced.
It is. :D I love pushing the limits further and further. With lesser restrictions, i can do pretty much i can imagine, that will sound nice.

Harbinger

Notes as i'm listening:

More compressor trickery, but this seems to get in the way of the song for some reason. Typical for your Trance, the non-rhythmic measures i think go on too long. But you don't let it stay like that very long. Excellent mix though.

Zaphoid

Maybe a little over compressed in places.  I enjoyed the listen.  Trance is a genre I've enjoyed in the past and your really getting me back into the spirit of it.  I noticed you said you used fm8 for the whole thing.  Impressive.  Have you tried out http://www.odosynths.com/index.htm  

direct link http://www.odosynths.com/DoubleSixV20.zip

very nice fm vsti for free.

psishock

hmmm, if i don't compress i would get:
- lot weaker kick, the rush of sounds will eat it up for good, and it will lead the piece most likely to be thrown back by the industry.
- or if i don't normalise i would get still get a strong kick, but the overall sound level would be way too smaller -> thrown back by the industry again :)
- so i take the third option, sidechain the kick, together with normalising, and bare with the fact that some ears my not like the outcome at all...

and to be honest, this piece is kinda based on compression trickery. :)

Zaphoid:
QuoteI noticed you said you used fm8 for the whole thing. Impressive.
yea, that is true, i'm using the fm8 for every single sounds, percussion, leads, bass, kick, pads, fx, etc. But that applies for every of my pieces, just too lazy to write and every single time. :D

QuoteHave you tried out...
ok, i've tested the DoubleSix for some time, checked and tried every of the features.
I must say that almost every of the features are deeply falling back, compared to FM8. Some very important stuff like the envelope control is a joke compared to it, cant even bpm sync, not even near that customizable, hard to work with. The routing system is very limited and uncomfortable. The operators are lacking of important ratio and offset values. The noise oscillator is completely missing, which makes it completely unable to make percussion sounds, like hihats, claps example.

I've found out the pattern were usually most of the freeware synths are "bleeding to death":
they wana have tons of features and effects (on 1 screen). They are managing to do this, ok, but most of features will be rushed or bad, so cannot be used for very wide purposes (if squeezing on 1 screen, usually the controls will be very uncomfortable to mess with). Example nobody needs a reverb, delay, sequencer, distortion, overdrive, some more aftereffects, panner, phaser, flanger, compressor... every single VST effect can be routed individually, after the VSTi and it can be even more deeply customizable, variable and comfortable thanks to this, than having only 1 instance of them integrated on the synth. That's why we have the VST system, to be able to route anything with anything. I'm sure that every produces are having their favorite ones in their pockets already. The synth should only focus on the actual sound generating and have those features developed very deeply. Ok, after if that part is perfect, they could add more features, but only if it will reasonably extend to possibilities more, i don't think that anyone would welcome a bloatware, memory-hog synth giant, specially the VST effect should be always separated, and let the composer to route them after, if needed.

So, back to DoubleSix, i have to say that while it's not a bad synth at all, it's no good for serious and very technical composing.

Zaphoid

This is exactly what most buzz machines do already.  Ever Tried Buzz before?

psishock

Well not entirely, i was tried only a few stuff in it on the old times, but it felt unnatural to work with, i could find myself easier to work with regular trackers or even in sequencers. That would possibly change if i would push it more and try to find my way on it harder.
Anyway, most of music programs have VST support nowdays so we don't really have to rely on Buzz's internal system, and we have tons of great VST(i) everywhere to chose from, so a comfortable host should not have any negative impact on productivity or sounding at all.

Saga Musix

ModPlug has actually (unfinished?) support for Buzz Machines. I tried to enable it, but it didn't really work.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Nahkranoth

Quote from: "Jojo"ModPlug has actually (unfinished?) support for Buzz Machines. I tried to enable it, but it didn't really work.
OMG, is it possible in near future to use them buzzmachines?