[uplifting trance]Signal Chain - Royal 1.1 full (mp3) update

Started by psishock, December 21, 2008, 23:52:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Nahkranoth

WUT?! Another Royal version? Can it be any better? A perfectionist you are, psi! Now i'll go count how many Royals I already have :D

bvanoudtshoorn

You know, every time I listen to a version of this track, the development of your main melodic motif (in this version, at around 3.50) always sounds awesome. :) I really like the fact that the melody isn't always predictable -- it keeps everything interesting.

In terms of production, I actually agree with Clones about the 'pumping' being a bit off-putting -- but this is also probably just my preference. Most of the trance I listen to is in the Chicane vein, which is more laid back than this more 'exciting' style. :) Speaking of which, when can we expect the Chicane-esque chillout verison? :P

Great work as always, Psi.

Harbinger

Notes as i'm listening

Really missed the arpeggio that brought in the main melody, and the interaction of the instruments. You've changed the song so much i'm forced to critique it as if i had not heard the original version. But there are specific reasons i love the 1.0 version, and they all were taken away in this version. So here's a new critique.

The driving beat is so inspiring, but as i've always complained about your Trance, psishock, you don't believe in keeping that pulse going throughout the whole track. Which makes it hard to dance to. (Yjana always remixes your good songs with a solid nonstop beat so she can dance to it.) The instrumentation and effects are fine, and this is where the improvements lie. The melodic progression is sparse and the bass line seems to be phoning it in, but if i asked you to make any improvements, you would find yourself at the 1.0 version -- only longer.

I know you worked hard on this, but in an effort to make it better, you took the good stuff away. I'll keep the original as it outshines this version. Perhaps you can call this the "Educated" mix. :wink:

psishock

Harbinger:
Quote from: "Harbinger"Really missed the arpeggio that brought in the main melody
It's there :D, most of the time, but i've buried it to the background, so it's not a main thingy anymore but it gives a good (great) groove that goes really well with the claps and with the kick also. Try this:
http://psishock.lpchip.com/music/its_there.mp3

1/3: what you've missed, the difference is that it follows different chords.
2/3: how i've buried it with custom shaped LFO, routed to low pass.
3/3: revealing some additional layers to show that it sounds great this way.

Quote from: "Harbinger"and the interaction of the instruments.
well, i believe there are tons of more interactions here than in the previous :), only some layers are missing from the original (that couldnt fit), but really a lot new were added.

Quote from: "Harbinger"you took the good stuff away
can you be more specific about this? I brought here everything that i've liked from the first, only used them differently and added tons of more.
what is clearly missing:
-the simple filler melody that starts from 00:59+ (got actually other plans with it)
-that little string messing what starts right from 00:02

Quote from: "Harbinger"I know you worked hard on this
that's maybe not the most emphatic word for this 1.1 release. :)

Quote from: "Harbinger"Perhaps you can call this the "Educated" mix
:lol: haha, well i don't take these processes as remixing, rather completely reworking them from different views.... well technically that is remixing :P but a +.1 version improvement is easier to follow and to count, rather than having a couple of remix names. I'm with Jean Michel Jarre on this one. ;)

Nahkranoth:
glad you've dropped in, perfectionist i am indeed :D that is why it taking so long to have new songs, i'm messing with it quite some time, and if unsatisfied, re-messing with them again, as you can c.
Quote from: "Nahkranoth"Now i'll go count how many Royals I already have
haha :lol:, now lemme count... 1..2..oh, there should be 3, it seems that nobody noticed the guitar solo "version". :D

bvanoudtshoorn:
thx for nice comments Barry!
QuoteSpeaking of which, when can we expect the Chicane-esque chillout verison?
On Royal? :D This is a very hard and technical piece, so a chilly version would be a total rework again. I would say on this point that i wont touch this piece of c..music for some longer time, but even i'm not sure what will bring the future. As always, the right mood can give good inspiration.

bully34: thank you for listening and commenting it.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Harbinger

Quote from: "psishock"
Quote from: "Harbinger"you took the good stuff away
can you be more specific about this? I brought here everything that i've liked from the first, only used them differently and added tons of more.
Well, i didn't want to guide your composition in case you had a specific vision. But if you want to know how other ears hear it, i'd love to tell ya. Only problem is, you may be finished this week, and i won't be back online till next weekend, and i don't want you to slow down on my account.

The main thing i listened for in the second version was the melodic pingpong between the high pass tone and the more supersaw timbre. They seemed to interrupt each other as they each played the melody in the latter part of the track, which reminded me of a Baroque concerto done in trance. I wish i could describe it better, but if you're not finished by the end of this week, i'll get back to you.

psishock

Oh, i thing i c wacha mean, it's 02:28+ in 1.0 right? That is one of my technical tricks of layered sounds. It is right there in the 1.1 if you listen to it carefully (example it hits on 03:36 in 1.1), but seem to get eated up more in the swarm of the layers later on, i could try to enhance it up, but i think it's quite noticeable enough. (well, it's off when the that supersaw like thingy hit on 4:45 in 1.1, but it comes back right after it... i had to do this because that part has a different meaning in the new version)

QuoteBut if you want to know how other ears hear it, i'd love to tell ya
These are one of the most important comments for me (and the technical suggestions), 'course that i want to hear, how the others are hearing the songs. :D

Quoteand i don't want you to slow down on my account.
dont worry 'bout that, i have tons of other songs, stuff to work on, if i let one or more of them to hang for a while, it won't make any difference at all on my work progress.

Nahkranoth

Quote from: "psishock"
Quote from: "Nahkranoth"Now i'll go count how many Royals I already have
haha :lol:, now lemme count... 1..2..oh, there should be 3, it seems that nobody noticed the guitar solo "version". :D
Believe me, I've noticed :D Just can't comment on too much stuff at once.
Now I'll go and write something stupid :D
[EDIT] Ah, it's in this post too...
I've noticed 2-3 notes that do not fit in the chord, but I guess you know this already and it's done deliberately.
This is a nice "tribute" to Royal, and I gotta try to play it on a real guitar now :D Argh! My hands are itching :twisted:

psishock

QuoteJust can't comment on too much stuff at once.
oh, just take your time. :D

QuoteNow I'll go and write something stupid
lol :lol:

QuoteI've noticed 2-3 notes that do not fit in the chord, but I guess you know this already and it's done deliberately.
yes i am aware of the "wrong" notes and they are intentional here, it adds more nicer warmth to the next "right" notes and chords. (now that surely sounded like a weird policy...but oh well :))

QuoteThis is a nice "tribute" to Royal, and I gotta try to play it on a real guitar now :D Argh! My hands are itching :twisted:
oh wow, this means we will have a grooving metal or rock version too, soon? ::)

Nahkranoth

Quote from: "psishock"oh wow, this means we will have a grooving metal or rock version too, soon?
I'm thinking of something like that, but maybe next year if I'll ever manage.
And of course if the copyright holder will allow me to do such perversion :P
At least it gave me an inspiration to work on my playing, but if it will sound shyte (and it will :D ) there are virtual equivalents which will do better than my lousy technique (more like the absence of it :D )

psishock

QuoteAnd of course if the copyright holder will allow me to do such perversion :P
i make no biggy about these stuff, so you don't have to worry, if have anything in mind, i would be more than glad to hear it whenever it's done or in listen-able form. Perversions are also welcome. :D The only thing i would like, is to keep my full original pieces from the "wide audience" at this moment, simply because i'm planning to release them later on. :)