[Compo] The MODPlug Tracker Compo 2009 (want one?)

Started by LPChip, April 13, 2009, 08:15:15

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

In 2007 we've had a Competition too

Many people liked it.

The idea of the compo is to see how skilled you are with very tight limitations.

Although I can do the same thing as last time, create a huge sample pack with very fixed samples, I was thinking of doing it a little bit differently this time. Only 2 samples! You are allowed to use as many instruments as you want, but you cannot change the samples in any way. The samples won't contain sequences though, so it'll give more freedom that way.

Would you be interested in such compo, to show the rest of the community that you really can handle OpenMPT?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

psishock

Quotebut you cannot change the samples in any way
i would like this to be described more accurately... so, even i can't cut, make loop points or alter any way the sample inside the tracker? O_o

Even so, the strict 2 sample competition sounds great to me! Count me in LP.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Saga Musix

Quotehe samples won't contain sequences though, so it'll give more freedom that way.
why should that be "more freedom"? If you have a sequence, you can use offsets and stuff to create funky effects :P
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

psishock

well, create your own sequences within tracker :P
offsets are funky, but i like the idea of those "pure" and clean samples more, even hardsampled chords are making me crazy most of the times.

Rakib

Sounds like it's gonna be hard as hell.

I'm in!
^^

KrazyKatz

Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

psishock

I've brained about this, it would be the coolest if those two pure samples would be:

- a looped sine
- a looped white noise
:D

If there is a 2 sample restriction, one could possibly b most creative with those 2. I can already imagine a lot of stuff that i could do. ^^

So when is the deadline? :P I'm all fired up.

Sam_Zen

Count me in. Whether some 'pure' samples or not, I don't mind.

LPChip

Quote from: "psishock"I've brained about this, it would be the coolest if those two pure samples would be:

- a looped sine
- a looped white noise
:D

If there is a 2 sample restriction, one could possibly b most creative with those 2. I can already imagine a lot of stuff that i could do. ^^

So when is the deadline? :P I'm all fired up.

You're quite spot on!

I will however change the sine for a more square wave form kind, so you can do more with it. :)

Also, I want to allow the DirectX Media effects plugins, so you can do even more neater tricks using those (if you know what you're doing)

Since I got more responses than I anticipated, I'll craft up a huge :lol: samplepack tonight and release it. I'm prepared to give a full month of worktime, though that probably is more than enough. Maybe even 1,5 month, so others can also join.

Now that I know that there are lots of people interested, I'll be making the official post with rules and stuff too.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

rncekel

Can we use VSTs? I suppose that when you say "as many instruments" you mean really instruments made out of just these 2 samples, not of course any .xi or VSTi. Is that right?

LPChip

Quote from: "rncekel"Can we use VSTs? I suppose that when you say "as many instruments" you mean really instruments made out of just these 2 samples, not of course any .xi or VSTi. Is that right?

Indeed. You cannot use external plugins at all. Only the DirectX Media effects that get shipped with OpenMPT. No sample based instruments can be added either, cus they will add samples, which isn't allowed.

So just 2 samples to generate the sound from, and thats it. :)

Details will come when I make the starting post. I'll rename this topic so I can make a new topic for the actual compo with rules and such.

psishock

I think DXplugins should b restricted 2 LP, you can do fake delay, reverb, similar like stuff in the instruments panel and in pattern anyway. This way you could focus of using the tracker more, than programing the sound with mere "vst(dx) effects". This should b a tracker, not a "smart way of effect programming" compo. :D

(edit: altho' it will definitely raise the fun level alot if fx would b allowed ;))

Saga Musix

QuoteIndeed. You cannot use external plugins at all. Only the DirectX Media effects that get shipped with OpenMPT. No sample based instruments can be added either, cus they will add samples, which isn't allowed.
Watch your language. Never ever say again that they are "shipped with OpenMPT", since that may actually confuse a lot of people. They're built into DirectX, not OpenMPT.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

psishock

So who is using example a linux based ompt is pretty much phucked up? :P

LPChip

Oh okay...

Well, I still want to allow them, but I cannot explain why yet. :) There are some things you can do with these plugins, but not with settings in the instrument tab alone, or a combination of instruments etc...