[Compo] The MODPlug Tracker Compo 2009 (want one?)

Started by LPChip, April 13, 2009, 08:15:15

Previous topic - Next topic

psishock

QuoteWell, I still want to allow them, but I cannot explain why yet.
You don't have to :P i understand it perfectly, and i bet who knows those plugins will get the point too.
I'll just think advanced in sound morphing then. So square+noise and the help from dx stuff... mmmm that will b interesting indeed. :D
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Sam_Zen

I already had my doubts when I read about the DirectX effects, so I checked where they are.

Jojo is right, this list is outside OpenMPT, so shouldn't be used in this project.
Only the effects on the Player tab, plus EQ, are valid ones here.

psishock

You can do a lot of tricky stuff with dx effects Sam, it will b a big help. They are "available" when OMPT is installed anyway, this would b a good opportunity to flex your muscles on the plugin support, one of the nicest features of ompt.

LPChip

Playertab EQ is not an option, cus that is a client-side setting.

I'm talking about Chorus, Compressor, Distortion, Echo, Flanger, ParamEQ and WavesReverb. Dunno if Gargle is also one that comes with DirectX.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

psishock

QuoteDunno if Gargle is also one that comes with DirectX.

sure. ^^

g

Some external effects (e.g. distortion & compressor DMO) will have varying output depending on player settings, so I think in order to have the songs sound "as intended by composer" the easiest thing would be not to allow them.

psishock

i think that 6 band eq and the rest of those "client" settings are post effects, so they don't affect the input (dx or vst) effects in any way. Restricting them should not have any impact, because surely no one will try to use a client side setting that other listeners may not hear. It's natural to set every post effect to default, when you compose anyway.

g

Of course no one will do it on purpose, I was more thinking of the pre-amp slider than the EQ but if we agree on using mix levels 1.17RC3 then I guess it won't be a problem.

psishock

Quoteif we agree on using mix levels 1.17RC3 then I guess it won't be a problem.
sure. ^^

Saga Musix

Quote from: "psishock"So who is using example a linux based ompt is pretty much phucked up? :P
yes.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

I've decided to wait a little bit with starting the competition.

There's another compo running at the moment, and it will only take a day or 5 before that compo ends. Its fair to wait with this one so people can join the other one too.

If people really don't like the DX effects as its not that easy, maybe I'll add some MDA plugins in the package that you can use. How about that?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Rakib

Or just be creative without the effects. It's not required to use the effects.
^^

psishock

since this compo will last a month (and a half mayb) you could open it anyway, everybody will have plenty amount time to finish it anyway, even if attending to other competitions.

I really like the idea of DXeffects, don't change that rule. :D Mda stuff sounds easier, but i'm aiming for a kickarse hard compo. Also the DXstuff is an all around pack for generally everything, additional VSTs shouldn't be involved.

Quote from: "Rakib"Or just be creative without the effects.
As you've said, it's not required to use the effects. It's an option, you can leave them out if you like (as anybody else who don't like fx).

bvanoudtshoorn

This sounds interesting! I'd be interested in having a go at this, DX effects or not...

Sam_Zen

didn't mention the player and eq-tab as being a post-effect of composition. Of course this is not playback-compatible.
But for example using it as an internal effect of saving a certain pattern-column into a new sample.