"Open source music"

Started by DustWolf, January 19, 2006, 13:36:10

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

Quote from: "Matt Hartman"
As far as I can tell, there have been attempts to educate other trackers, but in a very sporadic and unorganized fashion.

Even a simple page featuring tips and tricks would be nice.

I'm planning to add specific pages for this on the new site. For instance If you have a support question, you won't be able to post in the support forum. Instead, you'll get a nice form to fill in with your question and the option to fill in extra specs, like version number of MPT, plugins you use etc. This will then generate a topic in that forum where everyone can reply. (or if desired, only a select group of people, but i doubt that thats required).

I'm also thinking about adding pages with handy links, tips that can be submitted by the user, documents with certain specifications like what the effects do, etc...
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

DustWolf

Quote from: "LPChip"I'm planning to add specific pages for this on the new site. For instance If you have a support question, you won't be able to post in the support forum. Instead, you'll get a nice form to fill in with your question and the option to fill in extra specs, like version number of MPT, plugins you use etc. This will then generate a topic in that forum where everyone can reply. (or if desired, only a select group of people, but i doubt that thats required).

I'm also thinking about adding pages with handy links, tips that can be submitted by the user, documents with certain specifications like what the effects do, etc...

On that note, wouldn't a TikiWiki system be most suitable?

It requires least maintenence from admins and has the highest potential.

Sam_Zen

Quote from: "Matt Hartman"Even a simple page featuring tips and tricks would be nice.
I'm planning to expand my pages with tips and tricks too (as done for TC and IV), but so far I tried to make some kind of introduction.

2 LPChip
Very nice idea. Efficient use of php I think. Avoiding confusion about questions.

LPChip

Quote from: "DustWolf"
Quote from: "LPChip"I'm planning to add specific pages for this on the new site. For instance If you have a support question, you won't be able to post in the support forum. Instead, you'll get a nice form to fill in with your question and the option to fill in extra specs, like version number of MPT, plugins you use etc. This will then generate a topic in that forum where everyone can reply. (or if desired, only a select group of people, but i doubt that thats required).

On that note, wouldn't a TikiWiki system be most suitable?

Maybe, but the system is going to be there anyway, and requires to be flexible, so why not this way?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

DustWolf

Quote from: "LPChip"
Quote from: "DustWolf"On that note, wouldn't a TikiWiki system be most suitable?

Maybe, but the system is going to be there anyway, and requires to be flexible, so why not this way?

Well basically a TikiWiki can be restructured and redesigned without the need to uproot the system. Not to mention that if things take a turn in your life and you find yourself unable to find the time to update the site as often as the scene would want it to, others who can sacrifice some time can take over or help allong.

It's like on UT's reviewing... at the beggining it was the site admins who did the reviewing, but after a while the feature became so usefull that the load was way to great and a series of systems was set up which allowed more and more of the musicians to take part in the reviewing.

On flexibility I think a TikiWiki is still the most flexible (and you can always combine it with other tools for ataining more flexibility) and I think that even if you set up a near-perfect system for accessing the resources, there will eventually be people who will find little things that could be better and in a Wiki, they can fix it themselves, which adds up to a more usefull and better accessible resource.

The wiki also inherently provides things like RSS feeds for news...

Bottom line not saying you can't do better with another system, but wikis are usefull and very suitable for an educational resource! Think about it. It doesn't take much to install one...

LPChip

The system will allow me to assign a set of functions that I can dedicate to a group that holds users. If I for example want people to be able to submit news, I can easilly allow that. Same applies for the maintanance of certain pages.

But maybe I can create a module for this system that includes a tikiwiki...

DustWolf

Quote from: "LPChip"The system will allow me to assign a set of functions that I can dedicate to a group that holds users. If I for example want people to be able to submit news, I can easilly allow that. Same applies for the maintanance of certain pages.

But maybe I can create a module for this system that includes a tikiwiki...

I had in mind primarily organizing the purely educational part as a Wiki, which was mentioned in this thread. I understand otherwise the entire site couldn't be made that way.

If there was any documentation for OpenMPT online, it could be done in a Wiki as well. Many open source projects have a Wiki where the documentation for the program is as well as other general information usefull to users of the prog (there is a DocWiki out there, it's made specifically for making documentation and it's really pretty :D ).

For the educational part it's like a wiki is very suitable, because basically you have a glossary that describe what things are and how they are done and then you have to organize these into a structure that makes sense. Immagine we would like start an educational resource and write in it how things are done in MPT and such and then somebody with a lot of background in musical theory comes on and wants to add what he knows to the resource. In a wiki this is totally simple, because all documents are kind of available on the same level, you can have any number of indexes you want and any number of diffirent types of categorization without ruining the appearance of the site, duplicating or wasting hard work or making the resource harder to use.

..I find myself explaining it over and over... Just wanna help, hope I'm not annoying hehe.

LPChip

We've had a wiki for the manual on the old site, but we've lost it. :( We might as well install a wiki for the manual again, but the focus will be at the site first.