Main Menu

Shoutcast

Started by rork, January 18, 2006, 09:37:20

Previous topic - Next topic

rork

When I visited modplug central after over a year I noticed a few changes: the complete set up was more simple then it was and some parts were gone. First I thought this was due to lack of time or interrest of the site owner but now I learn about the crash. I hope you get it all up and running soon but take your time and do it good. There are too many hopeless sites around whitch use standard CMS's.

One thing I noticed was that the shoutcast radio was gone. For over a week I got this idea again to start an shoutcast radioshow to promote new bands. My main problem is to get enough music to keep the show started and interesting. I should make a site which needs time to run good or visit communities to download music. The last brought me to modplug central scince it's the only community I knew of.

Here's my idea.I found a free shoutcast provider (freecast) where I can shoutcast for three hours a week. I'd like to make a two hour show with trance/dance music (my main interrest) on a set time of the week. The other hour I will use to play songs of other genres: jazz/blues or rock/gothic hour or something, but I can't garantee this every week.

Still I have some questions.

Is the modplug shoutcast comming back? (That is: has my show reason to exist?)
Should I ask authors if I may play their music? (I'd be honnoured if my music was being played but mabe you're not)

Any other suggestions?
freecast listen to some non mainstream music

LPChip

I'm currently occupied building the website. When I have more time, I'll probably setup the radio station again.

As far it goes about music: As long as it concerns modules (eg. open source songs) then it wouldn't be a problem to play them. If you want to play MP3 songs, It should be wise to get the source, or atleast be sure it was made by a tracker and is publicly available to download by others and isn't illegal.

If you can get that to be (so no commercial artists) it wouldn't be a problem. If the author does complain, you can simply remove his/her songs from your playlist.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

rork

Thanks for your reply, I was quite busy with exams so I couldn't put too much time in it but I tested the show yesterday and all seems to work well.

From now on I'll try to broadcast every thursday at 19:00 or 20:00 CET and do a one hour show (I still need to collect and sort more music). You can check for the right hour and the link to the stream at the freecast website and you'll find a little more information here

I hope this will be a good way to promote the good music that's made by the trackers. Keep up the good work.

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "LPChip"As far it goes about music: As long as it concerns modules (eg. open source songs) then it wouldn't be a problem to play them. If you want to play MP3 songs, It should be wise to get the source, or atleast be sure it was made by a tracker and is publicly available to download by others and isn't illegal.
I disagree. Just because you can download something for free doesn't mean you can redistribute it or broadcast it for free. What file format it happens to be in doesn't have anything to do with anything.

DavidN

I also think that it's fairer to have an opt-in system rather than an opt-out one. I can't imagine many artists having a problem, but it's best to ask permission first.

Sam_Zen

Quote from: "speed-goddamn-focus"I disagree. Just because you can download something for free doesn't mean you can redistribute it or broadcast it for free. What file format it happens to be in doesn't have anything to do with anything.
Indeed the fileformat isn't relevant here. It's the use of the offered material.
But this can be solved by quite clear 'licenses' given with some track, meaning the rules of permission to use it.
The most simple restriction in this way, as a very common rule, is that the user is forced to mention the author.

rork

Before LPChip's reply I didn't know open source music existed. If the music is open source it can be adapted and redistributed (so broadcasted) without much restrictions. As far as I know the only thing you have to do is keep the source open. And it would be nice to refer back to the original author. If open source music is defined by an extension (*.it or *.xm) it should be no problem broadcasting it. It's not the question if it's free but weather it's open source.

When I tested it shoutcast didn't seem to show the song titles (and winamp only shows titles without artists on most songs), I'll have to find out if the problem is a shoutcast setting (I thought I set it on), shoutcast itself or winamp.

Anyways, I'll try to track down as many of the artists as possible and ask them if it's ok to play their music, this means more work for me, but also more advertising  :wink:

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "rork"Before LPChip's reply I didn't know open source music existed. If the music is open source it can be adapted and redistributed (so broadcasted) without much restrictions. As far as I know the only thing you have to do is keep the source open. And it would be nice to refer back to the original author. If open source music is defined by an extension (*.it or *.xm) it should be no problem broadcasting it. It's not the question if it's free but weather it's open source.
Open source is not defined by file format, it's defined by a license. That the source is provided doesn't mean that it's "Open Source" by GPL (or creative commons or whatever) definition. That said, I doubt anyone posting their songs would actually mind being played on your show.

Squirrel Havoc

Quote from: "speed-goddamn-focus"I doubt anyone posting their songs would actually mind being played on your show.

I agree, most would probably be happy with free publicity
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.