[Rock]Seeking the truth (.mp3)

Started by LPChip, March 13, 2009, 18:55:57

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

About 2 years ago, I saw a video about the Haken Continuum Fingerboard. I was blown away by its genious concept and really wanted one. When I saw the pricetag, I got a bit disappointed. I decided to save money for this and decide at a later stage if I would want one.

I recently decided that after 2 years and alot more money, it still was a yes! So I bought me one.

This is the first official song I release that has me playing this.

Please note: Playing this is still very hard for me, so I make a few errors here and there. So bare with me.

You hear the Continuum's own sound pushed through chainer using some plugins on it like G-Amp Classic and Electri-Q. Using the keyboard I play the Korg Wavestation.

I haven't used more than this. :)

An mp3 version of this recording can be found here:
http://files.lpchip.com/Album/Fingerboarded/1.%20LPChip%20-%20Seeking%20the%20truth.mp3

I'm really curious what you guys think of this. Should I make more of this stuff, or is it so horrible that I first need years and years of practice? XD

Thanks for listening. :)

EDIT: and as a spoiler, here's a link to see the Continuum Fingerboard along with my screen :D Although the preset isn't what I used in this song, its nearly identical. :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

BloxMaster

I thought the song was good, it was interesting to listen to. It seemed a bit off at times, but you've just started, so I can only expect that'll be even better next time around, judging from your other songs. Anyway, I like it, as a good start, and I hope to hear more.  :D

LPChip

Quote from: "BloxMaster"I thought the song was good, it was interesting to listen to. It seemed a bit off at times, but you've just started, so I can only expect that'll be even better next time around, judging from your other songs. Anyway, I like it, as a good start, and I hope to hear more.  :D

Thanks. :) Yeah, its really hard to play this instrument. Do note that I have disabled the rounding pitch correction, so the X axis is as precise as it can be, not set to a note. This makes it easier for me to make corrections, but also to learn to play the right note. :D
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

It's pretty much detuned all the way, but the fingerboard is a really cool device. Go on practising! :D
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

uncloned

LP - challenging instrument - must be like a violin with even more flexibility.

A link for the curious

http://www.cerlsoundgroup.org/Continuum/html/overview/Intro.html

I like when you get the sax sound in the lower register

Please - do give us a blow by blow of your experiments!

Have you tried the polyphonic capability yet?
And do you have the 8 or 4 octave version?

Sam_Zen

A very state-of-the-art design. Looks promising, LP !

Listening..
This is an excellent lead instrument. It's obvious to compare this with a wind instrument like a saxophone.
But it's much more than that. And I don't agree with uncloned, It's a pity that I didn't hear the real low range of it.

Sure it's a matter of building experience by playing it regularely, I consider this first as a live instrument.
I understand the production, but I would have preferred to hear a dry version of the instrument, so without effect plugins.
Just to get a first impression of the characteristics.

A nice example of playing with such a sound is the solo by Michael Brecker of the band Steps Ahead on an wind synthesizer.
The album "Magnetic", track four : In A Sentimental Mood

LPChip

The dry sound isn't that nice. It needs tweaking to get much better sound, so you won't hear a production of me with just the dry sound.

I have the half-sized version which is big enough, really. :)

I use this to play as a lead only which was why I didn't really played bass here.

I did another test too which has quite a different kind of sound:

http://files.lpchip.com/temp/Rmx-Lily%20was%20here%28Candy%20Dulfer%29.wav.mp3

I'm not going to put this on as a download because this is not finished, and contains alot of mistakes at the end. This was the first time I actually tried it out. I did a few takes and this one was good enough at that time.

This one does have lower ends. :D

psishock

- Seeking the truth
Totally like a character theme for a clumsy fantasy hero. I like it LP. =)

- Lily was here(Candy Dulfer)
Hah, saxophone sounding, but i rather listen to self inspired stuff, than remixed commercial ones. (i understand that this is merely an instrument  tech demo / testing stuff from you)
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)